Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 450SL - engine will be pulled to repair some rust issues. We are going to replace the following

Starter, alternator, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, etc - the obvious outside of the engine stuff

Inside the engine, i need some recommendations. I know the timing chain and guides for timing chain need to be replaced.

What else would you guys consider a must replace item? I think I've heard Valve seals mentioned on some threads.

btw, the engine did run, didn't smoke, etc.

Thanks for the guidance......

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The rubber donut seals between the upper and lower parts of the intake manifold might be worth replacing if you have everything apart. They can cause air leaks that upset mixture. I have not had that problem on my 72, but others have.

I would have a good look for cracks on the exhaust manifolds. Maybe at least replace the gaskets.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
exhaust manifold gaskets will be replaced too, forgot about that. The manifolds are a little rusty & I have a buddy that does ceramic coating, so I'll get him to blast & coat them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
+1 what Graham and RD wrote.

Since you have the exhaust manifolds off you ought to consider having the ports resurfaced - mine were slightly leaking and that was the only solution available to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Pretty much anything rubber on the engine. Detail engine bay while engine is out. If you want to go all the way yellow zinc replate all the pipes, brackets, hardware, and all the clips and plated parts around the engine bay. If you have a bead blast cabinet then the plating is probably @$200.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not that old, just a few weeks. Tie rods, steering coupler, etc are on the list. Along w pretty much everything rubber under the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
odometer shows about 110,000. I just bought the car so can't comment on oil pressure declines. My local shop had the engine running, no smoke, etc. He did not think it needed a full rebuild.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pulled my engine in 2009 and had it rebuilt. While it was at the "spa" I took the opportunity to check the wiring harness and replace some cooked wires. I also looked at the firewall insulation and repaired it where necessary and then sprayed it with a rubberized silver paint. I do not remember where I got that paint though. I replaced all the steering and suspension bushings at that time as it was far easier w/o the engine in the way. I also checked and replaced some of the vacuum tubing along side the firewall and in back ot the engine...alot easier to work on w/o the engine in the way!
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It all depends if you're willing to pull apart heads and bottom end.
If you are, you could only benefit from honing the cylinders, replacing the rings, conrod bearings, and perhaps the crank bearings, opening up ports in heads and reseating valves.Cleaning combustion chamber pertinent parts too.
Silly to do all this if you are absolutely sure the engine is VGC but sillier not to do it whilst the engine is out and some doubt on condition exists.
my two bobs worth of opinion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Djenka018
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing