Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newby with a Vito 110 and want to do some work myself on it.

I gather that there is a WIS manual (on DVD or download). Where can I get it/them from and how much.

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 V230 Ambiente
58 Posts
e-bay is your friend, usually on 3 DVD which include a video installation guide as I understand it is not a straightforward program to install and set up.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The program includes WIS (Workshop Information system) and EPC (Electronic parts catalogue) This requires 23gb of drive space.

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
what is virtualbox and how does that help with fixing Vitos?

I went to the website and it means absolutely nothing to me

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's not complicated, but if you don't know how to begin then the whole procedure will be quite difficult without you learning about torrents, how they work, then VirtualBox, then putting it all together... better you go the ebay route and buy the DVD.

If you did want to learn a few new skills, then do some background reading here first:

Torrents: What are Torrents?

Downloading Torrents (including appropriate copyright warning): How to Download with Bittorrents: A Step-By-Step Explanation

VirtualBox: VirtualBox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (BTW, VirtualBox will only be needed if you use the PirateBay torrent that is packaged in VirtualBox - any other torrent will be installed differently, and usually contain instructions - VirtualBox is excellent, tho)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
Thanks Prossett. My question was really about how virtualbox itself helps with fixing cars or vans but I guess it just allows you to run the (in my opinion) very awkward to install WIS system on your computer.

I have WIS but have been unable to run it on my Vista laptop. I have also been unsuccessful at installing it on my old windows 98 laptop too.

I remember now. The main problem I have with my old laptop is that it only has a CD drive and not a DVD drive. I am sure I have installed a virtual drive and transferred the DVD with a memory stick but still no joy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, WS is a tricky one to install, and you're right: VirtualBox is just one way to run the WS (easy way).

See, that specific WS download from PirateBay is pre-installed to run with VirtualBox, and that's what makes it smooth sailing. Torrent here: Mercedes Benz WIS + ASRA 2006 Virtual Machine Appliance Preinsta (download torrent) - TPB

As you see in the notes, and if you have VirtualBox installed (free download from Downloads - VirtualBox), all you do is start a new virtual machine, import the downloaded WS, and it works... just one click. It's pre-installed - no need for DVD or anything - beauty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts