Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the WIS and/or the EPC on Vista? I'm running Vista at home and am going to pick up the WIS/EPC but want to be sure it works on that OS. It states that it isn't Vista-compatible, but that could just mean it isn't certified, etc.

TIA.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
You can get the real-deal EPC for $12/year (free for USA cars).

I would eschew WIS and get the FSM on DVD. It is *much* easier to navigate.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, BB. WIS and EPC are both pretty pervasive in the system and can be a bit finicky as well (the WIS installation is lots and lots of steps...). I seriously doubt they will run on Vista. They also have a decently steep learning curve. And I recently installed EPC and it specifically said it will not run on Vista.

Be forewarned: sometimes when you try to install programs that are designed for another OS you will corrupt files in your OS and end up with a nice doorstop until you can format the drive and start over. So be sure to back up all of your data if you decide to proceed.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
WIS+EPC 2008 Under Vista

Has anyone used the WIS and/or the EPC on Vista? I'm running Vista at home and am going to pick up the WIS/EPC but want to be sure it works on that OS. It states that it isn't Vista-compatible, but that could just mean it isn't certified, etc.

TIA.
WIS + EPC 2008 won't successfully install under Vista I can confirm. It fails to register certain files and the HTML based search won't be added (needed to register the key). The overall installation I have is on 5 DVD's = 25Gb EPC discs 1 and 2 are over 5gb. It will however work on Windows XP.
There are also missing registration parts in the Vista installation. I had a bit of a headache. If there is a way to get around the compatibility issue then I will post it. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Most of the pirated WIS copies I have seen only work with Windows 2000 or XP. Then some copies are extremely difficult to get it to work while others are very easy.

If you are like many of us, you probably have some older computers that you do not use for critical work and play.

As Matt said, WIS is very hard to use.

I was able to finally buy a copy from a fellow forum member and that one is very easy to install. The forum member has done the install so it is guaranteed to work.

The instruction came with my copy of the WIS specifically said something like "do not do any of the network BS, just follow these simple steps." I forgot the exact wording but the install was very easy.

I run my copy (2005 version that is new enough for our W210) on a old XP computer that is not networked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A ha I see, well to set minds at rest I was talking about the legit version, I was not aware of a prate copy as the DVD's like mentioned were 5gb and 6gb in size (too big for a 4.7gb disc). But any information on getting it to work under Vista Ultimate 64bit much appreciated, PC is 4GB Ram, Quad Core, 1Tb Hard disk over 2 raid drives. Cheers.

·
Registered
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
276 Posts
That is a pretty good machine there, mine is just a bit slower but here is what I have done to get both WIS and EPC working.
Same operating system, with 2GB RAM and dual core CPU.

I downloaded and installed Virtual PC 2007 (it's free from Microsoft) then installed a copy of XP in the virtual machine, then installed WIS+EPC on that XP. It runs beautifully, no problems. No need to partition anything, just install Virtual PC (preferably not on your C partition) and it will create a virtual machine inside Vista complete with an operating system of your choice (I put XP on it because that is what the copy of WIS I have needed, but you can install other ops as well and more then one Virtual Machine in the Virtual PC).

So now I have an icon for the Virtual PC console on my Vista desktop with the Virtual Machine I want to start. As I only installed one Virtual Machine I double click its icon, it opens a window and then it boots XP inside that window as if it was a standalone machine (you also have to shut it down that way, don't just close the window). Once it booted I have an XP window with all the icons for it plus the WIS+EPC I installed. I double click the WIS icon and it runs. You can drog and drop files and folders between Vista and XP even though there are separate operating systems.

I also installed Carsoft 7.4 so that I can do car diagnosis but I am having problems connecting it to the multiplexer because the laptop doesn't have a psychical serial port and I haven't got a PCMCIA-to-serial adapter to get Carsoft talk to the multiplexer. The USB-to-serial adapter doesn't seem to work, getting the Virtual PC talk to the laptop's hardware can be a tricky undertaking. So far I wasn't able to get the wireless card in my psychical Vista box to work with XP either. It should but I haven't the time to figure out the correct configuration.
But for the WIS+EPC it is a perfect setup.

Alex

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's an awesome idea, I just read on how to turn your PC into Virtual PC. I will try to set it up tonight. What can I say but thanks Alex. I will let this topic know how I get on. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts