Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240d - 1985 300d - 1984 280sel
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to be able to hook the lights on my trailer to my 300d. It has a standard connector. Does anyone have any suggestions for what kit or type of kit to use? I've never wired trailer lights to a car. Will I be having to attach the connector wires directly to my taillight wires, or will I just be sticking the wires in beside the bulbs? Thanks!

·
Registered
1984 300TD
60 Posts
yer gonna tow with a 240? hahahaaahahaaaa.....

anyways- since our cars have seperate tail/brake lamps, you will need to get a taillight converter from any parts house- wally world, whatever. this is a small unit w/ some blocking diodes in it so the lights dont cross feed. wiring it up is simple- 5 wires on the car end, and it ends in a 4 flat.

get a test light to see which wire is what on the car- brown is ground. the last few units I bought have the wire code written right on them, easy to hook up.

you can use those cheap blue wire taps if its inside the trunk, or get serious with some uninsulated butt splices and heatshrink.

if you go the former, all you need is a pair of pliers and the test light. maybe wrap them w/ tape for luck.

good luck.

·
Registered
1984 300TD
60 Posts
yes i read that one. And , after i posted, i see that wv240d also has a 300d, which is the car in ? anyhow. I know its possible, but prolly not fun.

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
probably not! :p

·
Registered
1983 240d - 1985 300d - 1984 280sel
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'll be towing less than the weight that I regularly carry inside the car when I have 2 or 3 friends, so I think it will be fine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts