Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'57 300SL, '73 450SLC, '00 CLK430, '02 E430 Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep melting wires. The grey wire leading to the socket on the city lights seem to have a resonator on it. The driver side one on my CLK continues to burn out. I had one melt on me, and replaced the socket, wire, and resonator with an oem one from the dealership. Upon connecting it - and prior to putting a bulb in the socket - I turned on the light switch, immediately the wire started to heat-up and smoke. I checked the voltage going into the wire and it was 11.25. Anyone else have a simular issue or know what the problem is/how to fix it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
'57 300SL, '73 450SLC, '00 CLK430, '02 E430 Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try this one more time. My wife keeps bugging me about it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Bud - you expect too much from a forum.... how can we possibly know what your problem is from your basic description...:confused:

You clearly have an electrical short circuit here if it is burning wires and not blowing a fuse. It has to be diagnosed with a test meter.

Can you use one? If not, pass your problem to an auto-electrician. :)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
It likely has a RESISTOR wired into it. PO probably installed LED city lights, so when you are putting in a standard halogen (H6W) it's like having two bulbs on the circuit. If you're going to run standard bulbs, cut the resistor out of it and splice in some wire so it's still the correct length.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Originally Posted by gregs210
It likely has a RESISTOR wired into it. PO probably installed LED city lights, so when you are putting in a standard halogen (H6W) it's like having two bulbs on the circuit.
Greg - you could be right here - but he said that the wires heated up before the bulb was fitted. If that happens, he has a short somewhere...

Maybe when he did his fix by changing the socket & wires, he got his wires crossed.

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
Greg - you could be right here - but he said that the wires heated up before the bulb was fitted. If that happens, he has a short somewhere...

Maybe when he did his fix by changing the socket & wires, he got his wires crossed.
I agree with the short but cant put my head around the reversed wires. The bulb completes the circut so orientation shouldnt come into play till after the bulb is inserted. Now if the new socket is the short....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts