Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
w176, ‘14, a180d, SE ECO
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I bought a SE Mercedes about 12 months ago, and was pretty bummed out it had no heated seats. So I bought some AMG-Line heated seats & door cards last week, but now I need to wire up the seats to the control switch and plugs under the dash, etc. Unfortunately the salvage company didn’t give me the entire wiring harness, just what was visible over the floor (see picture) so I have no idea where the rest of the loom leads, or what it branches into, or where anything goes. I’m not sure what the part number is to order a new fully intact loom. The VIN number the seats came from is WDD1760422J458670. Would appreciate if someone could help me out!

Attachments

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
8,245 Posts
Welcome to BW Amari,

Good to have you as a new member.
Please complete your BW registration profile so members may better assist you.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon----> click on Account Settings----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR into your Profile ----> click save.

Moving you along, over to the w176 forum.

·
Registered
w176, ‘14, a180d, SE ECO
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to BW Amari,

Good to have you as a new member.
Please complete your BW registration profile so members may better assist you.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon----> click on Account Settings----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR into your Profile ----> click save.

Moving you along, over to the w176 forum.
Hi Khomer2,

Thanks for the welcome. I updated that now! (Took me a while to figure out) Hopefully it’s all ok!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,660 Posts
Shame they couldn't give you the rest of the loom. Understandable though, would be a lengthy job to trace and remove it.

Reactions: Amari

·
Registered
w176, ‘14, a180d, SE ECO
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shame they couldn't give you the rest of the loom. Understandable though, would be a lengthy job to trace and remove it.
It really is. Although, I gave them plenty of notice that I’d be coming to collect the heated seats (which they also surprisingly hadn’t yet harvested from the car when I arrived). I’m hoping someone here might have done this before, or know something about part numbers so I can order a new one. I really want to get the heated seats working.

·
8,245 Posts
Amari,
You will need wiring schematics for your chassis to determine, or move forward with your present loom.

Use MBEpc.net, punch in your vin# to get more details on the additional harness' you'll need, if any, to complete the job.
Check the part# of the one you have on the above website, to verify it will work on yours. Many times, sellers claim the part (harness in your case...) is compatible. It may or may not be - typically they will ask you for your vin# to verify before they sell to you. Some sellers do not and note on their sales listing "buyer to verify proper fitment, etc"

·
Registered
w176, ‘14, a180d, SE ECO
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amari,
You will need wiring schematics for your chassis to determine, or move forward with your present loom.

Use MBEpc.net, punch in your vin# to get more details on the additional harness' you'll need, if any, to complete the job.
Check the part# of the one you have on the above website, to verify it will work on yours. Many times, sellers claim the part (harness in your case...) is compatible. It may or may not be - typically they will ask you for your vin# to verify before they sell to you. Some sellers do not and note on their sales listing "buyer to verify proper fitment, etc"
Thank you so much for that information! It is really helpful. I will definitely check that out.

The existing loom in my car is currently plugged into the seats, but the passenger seat needs to be reprogrammed to get rid of the fault notification on the dash. The main difference between my car’s loom and the salvaged car’s loom is the additional plug on the loom for the heated seats. Things have been straightforward so far… so I’m hoping it’ll continue to be a straightforward process!

·
8,245 Posts
I can't speak for the newer cars, but I am presuming you will need a decent scanner to access your model to erase the code(s) you have. OR to a local MB indie that has access to a proper scanner, that can read your w176.

·
Registered
w176, ‘14, a180d, SE ECO
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't speak for the newer cars, but I am presuming you will need a decent scanner to access your model to erase the code(s) you have. OR to a local MB indie that has access to a proper scanner, that can read your w176.
I checked out the website but I think my car model isn’t on it unfortunately. :(

My Mercedes Main dealership engineer said to call into him Tuesday to discuss getting the seats working and to clear the error code. I’m anticipating the labour is going to cost a fortune for the wiring of the loom though. But hopefully it might give me some more information to work with so I have an alternative plan in place and can order a loom.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,660 Posts
If it's any comfort, MB always used to do wiring in a kind of modular way. So on my ancient car I was able to trace and actually unplug a heated powered seat loom on a spares car. It had to be really bare bones for that though, the loom was buried at a kind of skeletal level.
But it came out and went in quite easily aside from that.
I've found this with other parts of the wiring where optional extras were concerned - kind of modular.. So if they've carried this on to the recent models like yours, it may be a reasonably logical job.

Reactions: Amari

·
8,245 Posts
I checked out the website but I think my car model isn’t on it unfortunately. :(

My Mercedes Main dealership engineer said to call into him Tuesday to discuss getting the seats working and to clear the error code. I’m anticipating the labour is going to cost a fortune for the wiring of the loom though. But hopefully it might give me some more information to work with so I have an alternative plan in place and can order a loom.
With newer cars, I would surmise you can DIY too - how much has harness technology changed over the years.

Most manufacturers have the basic wiring in place for 'add ons', such as a harness, and then possibly (most likely) placing the heater pad into the seat bottom and/or backrest, if desired. I can't see a car maker placing heater pads in their cars if it's an option or not part of a pkg (they like to keep costs down). Heater switch tied in at either seat controls or on the center dash console or similar.
This search result may or may not help you understand the process - Many members have added the harness to both seats in many of the older MB models, similar processes.
Personally, I have removed, replaced, dissected front seats (w124, w210, w163, hondas) and seen, inspected the wiring and harness' and they are all very similar. In some cases, the use of a quality scanner is required - as in your case.

·
Registered
w176, ‘14, a180d, SE ECO
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news guys! The MSL company found the loom for the front and back seat. I’m going to post the part numbers here just in case someone in future wants to order them for their own project:

Passenger Seat: A2465404914
Driver Seat: A2465404514

I don’t know if it will be as straightforward as plugging it in and programming the codes to the ECU. I’m thinking I might need other parts. E.g. I saw on another website for replacing Halogen lights to Bi-Xenons the guy had to get some other parts like a new blue strip, SAM unit, switch, level sensor, etc so I’m not sure if I’m underestimating the amount of work I need to do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts