Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some other folks have rebuilt their wiring harnesses/looms, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for the connectors and rubber boots used by the OEM harness builders for the MB looms. Any websites?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1995 S 420, 2012 GLK 350 and 1997 Audi Cabrio; Previously 1982 280CE, 1974 450SL, 1974 911S Targa
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really???

225 views and NO ONE has any idea where to get wiring harness components?:confused:

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
The DIYs I've seen the connectors are cut open and then re-glued or sealed after.The terminals are "de-soldered", reformed and re soldered.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz M-klasse (W163 ML270 CDI), Mercedes-Benz S-klasse (W140 500SEL)
16 Posts
Today I went into the Mercedes-Benz Service and I ordered some connectors and plugs from the EPC :)
Ca. 3 $/connector. (I live in Hungary)

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
SDHow:

Given your proclivity for tinkering, you need to know ahead of time: Your wiring harnesses (there are two) have the capacity to burn out the components they are connected to, and more to the point, the ability to 'miscommunicate' with your engine management system to the point that you can blow your engine, if they (the harnesses) fail or cross/short out.

That is pretty much the ONLY way to blow the V8's and the V12, because otherwise, they are completely rebuildable. The silica/aluminum casting materials are NOT capable of taking a cylinder boring should your engine management system cause too much gas to 'wash' the cylinder walls, scoring them in the process, due to cross-communications due to a faulty wiring harness.

So the point is: rebuilding your wiring harnesses are not a wise investment of time or effort. Because no matter how good you are at putting them together, you have no capacity to 'factory test' them, so you will never know if your fix is right.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on home-made fixes, but feel it important to let you know what you risk. Especially on the wiring harnesses. I know. I've had to replace them in two of my cars. They are difficult to remove, more difficult to install, and if, after all that effort (over 15-hours combined) to have a fault come up somewhere, is just not cool.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not looking to do a harness "rebuild", but there are certain connectors and rubber 'dust' boots that keep road grime/grease off of switch connections. These get old and crack with time and need replacing. The wiring itself is in solid shape - no cracking of insulation or degradation. I'm talking about the transmission harness, not an engine harness (which I already replaced). Not gonna spend $500 to scavenge a 90 degree rubber boot and one half of a plastic connector plug assembly from a new harness.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The wiring looms are not made by MB, but by independent contractors, MB might sell some connectors but probably will not sell some items. If the loom is bad they replace the entire harness.

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
What is your opinion if the harness underneath the air filter running across the top of the engine by the MAF is in excellent condition in this sense:- i.e. that none of the wires are flaking or cracking, all perfectly insulated within their coloured covers, 100% intact with the actual wires inside them, *but* that the black almost tape like housing that the wires sit within are not complete and showing the coloured wires?

It did not fill me with confidence. Mind you the car still flies. And of course, no codes etc.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is your opinion if the harness underneath the air filter running across the top of the engine by the MAF is in excellent condition in this sense:- i.e. that none of the wires are flaking or cracking, all perfectly insulated within their coloured covers, 100% intact with the actual wires inside them, *but* that the black almost tape like housing that the wires sit within are not complete and showing the coloured wires?

It did not fill me with confidence. Mind you the car still flies. And of course, no codes etc.
Rich, did you see if your harness has been previously replaced? Remove the loom cover up at the firewall (the 'clamshell' cover just in front of the engine bay hood seal) and look for the production info tag that Delphi attached to the updated harnesses. If you have one attached to that lone harness wire, you've got a newer harness and no worries. If not, inspect your harness at the ends of all the connectors for insulation breakdown/cracking. If you observe any...replace it. Now I saved big bucks by finding an updated Delphi harness off of a parts car. Got it for less than half of new...works perfectly!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The wiring looms are not made by MB, but by independent contractors, MB might sell some connectors but probably will not sell some items. If the loom is bad they replace the entire harness.
Yeah, it's $450 for a new transmission harness...and I have a cracked rubber dust boot on the vacuum pressure sensor that needs to be replaced. Getting one off of a wreck is pointless, as they're all so old, they just crumble.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I just paid that for a lower harness plus labor, which is more suffering when they previously replaced the oil pressure sensor, and then the oil level sensor itermittent instead of checking the harness. It also effected the charge lamp being intermittent which they could never find.
Just mechanics making money, I would check Eddie he comes up with a lower harness once in a while

1 - 12 of 12 Posts