Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, 95 e320 cab has 100k and decided to change plugs and coils for fun. Can't believe that the wiring harness of one of the connectors to the coil almost disolved (the insulation) in my hands. When I put everything back together car would idle poorly. The wire was so beat up there was no insulation between the two cables. It was as if only one cable existed. I don' t know how the car ever ran....now I am in the process of installing a new harness. BTW the car did start skipping a beat at idle thats what started changing the coils and plugs.
Never seeing anything like this....bad bad insulation! BTW I have a 68 280sl with orginal wiring.
abe

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,384 Posts
Ya, we get to thank the treehuggers for mandating eco junk in automobiles.

MB really screwed the pooch by ignoring the issue and letting the customers foot the repair bills, while the right thing to do was recall the cars. I cannot think of a more blatant case of manufacturing defect.

You may also want to check the throttle assembly for the same eco junk wiring issues. see link
PeachPartsWiki: W124 Engine Wiring Harness Replacement

Make sure you get a new harness that is matched to your vehicle vin# as there were some running changes in the harnesses. Also make sure you get a new genuine MB OVP relay (or Kaehler) and all new fuses to establish a solid electrical baseline. Otherwise, these cars can be almost impossible to troubleshoot electrically due to false error codes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, 95 e320 cab has 100k and decided to change plugs and coils for fun. Can't believe that the wiring harness of one of the connectors to the coil almost disolved (the insulation) in my hands. When I put everything back together car would idle poorly. The wire was so beat up there was no insulation between the two cables. It was as if only one cable existed. I don' t know how the car ever ran....now I am in the process of installing a new harness. BTW the car did start skipping a beat at idle thats what started changing the coils and plugs.
Never seeing anything like this....bad bad insulation! BTW I have a 68 280sl with orginal wiring.
abe
Just had the same problem at 104,000wiring harness was shot, but right before that happen i replaced plugs,plug wires and coils.I made the mistake of putting cheaper coils on and shortly after replacing wiring harness it started missing again.Put the real deal coils on and so far its ran great.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
5 Posts
Just ran into this problem myself - 95 E320 Sedan. My symptoms were a bit different
Enine seems VERY strong
- Shifting at higher RPMs unless i take my foot off the gas,
- Check Engine light
- Low RPM studder from take off

I found some Russian dude in NY that will rebuild your harness for you for $350. Kind of hard to go out on a limb and trust some dude and send him the paypal money... and hope you get your harnes back in good working condition.

I've thought about doing it myself, it's just hard to collect the time to be able to do it. So my thought was, if I go to a junk yard, get a harness, and slowly rebuild that one as my car wont be out of commission.

My questions would be:
A. Have I diagnosed that this is most likely the issue? (My wires ARE very degraded with a lot of exposed wire.)
B. Has anyone heard of the guy with the repair service in NY? Mercedes repair and restoration
C. I understand there could be risk in getting the wrong harness if I get one from a junkyard so I need to check part numbers. Is there a good chance I'd get the wrong one?

For disclosure I was an electronics technician in the Navy and have been an IT for over 10 years. I have experience in circuit board soldering and data cable assembly. I am a perfectionist and am sure I could do a better job at insulating the final product better than the manufacturer

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Buy the right Delphi replacement harness for 250-300 from eBay. There are differences between early and later harnesses (early pre 95, and later '95's) -2933 and -5632 harnesses.

The later version has the big circular connector at the thermostat housing and knock sensors are an easy sub harness plug connector as opposed to the direct wire from the engine harness.

If you are so inclined, I have a spare -5632 later replacement harness by Delphi in good shape but a few connectors were snipped off. If you want to save some bucks, I can sell both the original harness and replacement and you can do some wiring work to get it fully set up. PM if interested.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,943 Posts
Definitely trust the Russian "dude" in Brooklyn. Visit his website. He is well respected by Jim Forgione over on the Peach Parts Forum. I've talked to him a couple of times and he seems to know his Mercedes.
I wouldn't touch something from Ebay. I would either let Victor rebuild it, or buy new from Mercedes. You are aware that besides the main harness, the cabling from the ETA to the firewall and the cabling down to the starter and oil level sensor is probably shot also.
Let's give a big middle finger to all of the eco greenies in the world.
Anziani

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
5 Posts
Let's give a big middle finger to all of the eco greenies in the world.
Anziani
:thumbsup:

I do that everytime I get my truck out - 2005 Ram SRT-10 8.3L Dodge Viper engine w/ 6sp manual Tremec Transmission. Happy to get 7MPG to kick the tree huggers in the teeth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts