Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 560 SEL and I want to run wire from the trunk to the front speakers on the dash. I cannot figure out how to get the wire up through the dash. I have pulled a few things off up front but things look ugly. And I am no where close the speaker. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if you take the lower panel off on left side of steering wheel you will be able to access to put the wire through, probably use a flashlight and take the speaker grill off and speaker loose so you can see where the wire is, on the right side remove the heater duct right under the glove box, what speakers are you putting in? i put some infinity kappas to replace the factory, i only wish i would have had door speakers to make the process easier to put door speakers there which i got some 6' mb quarts, mb stands for mercedes benz of course. back in the back i put a single 12L kicker solobaric powered by a rockford 800.2 and 400.4 for mids and highs, i'm gonna replace the kicker with two rockford 12' hx2's and have the trunk area custom enclosed with pop open drawyers for the cd changer, vcr and amps will be sunk into floorboard, mercedes has those funky mounts for their back speakers, just made some wood brackets to replace them, up front i've got the clarion vrx925 7' indash cd/dvd/mp3 changer. i rewired everything and removed the back seat to run wires under carpet, it was a little pain but i survided it. what are you doing with yours?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help man, I found what I was looking for when I did that. Man, the more panels you pull the uglier it gets. Right now I have a 600W Lanzar powering a Boston 10in sub in a bandpass box of some sort and I have a Pair of 6.5in Infinity's in the back. Nothing major. <br> <br> I just ordered some 4x6 Polk's to put in the front by the window. I want another set of full range speakers in the car, but I dont want to cut into the doors. I am in a state of indecision. I currently have a ton of engine noise coming through my speakers, not sure what is causing it yet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
glad you found what you were looking for. i am in the same delima, i want some front door speakers but don't want to cut into door, i am thinking about having some speaker pods built and replace the current panels if it doesn't cause much problem for the hood latch. I just was in a car show saturday, didn't win anything cause i wasn't ready, decided at last night before to enter, car was dirty and dusty on outside, i think the biggest killer is the in progress trunk stereo equipment with wires everywhere, a rolse royse parked next to me on one side and car with a custom built trunk inclosure like you see in magazines on the other. Oh well, I just ordered a cople of 12' rockford hx2's and some dynamat then I will be ready to have my trunk done. have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, i don't know a lot but might be able to help. have a great day!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about trying to put some speakers in that panel where the hood latch is as well, lemme know if you have any luck. I have been told that in later models of the SEL with the same body style as the 560 they put a speaker in the door, so Benz must sell the mounts. <br> <br> Warning for people with this car:<br> A good deal of Mercedes have the gas tank between the back of the trunk and the back seat, so be very very carful when you are mounting amps etc on the back part of the trunk. Otherwise you will end up with a solid mount right in the gas tank. I will never admit how I found this out, but be careful where you mount :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts