Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Series 201 190E 1.8
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the quest for trying to locate a towbar for my merc. I contacted a manufacture in Brisbane Australia today and he informed me that I needed a special electronic box to take the wiring.

In Australia we use a 7 point plug. Park Lights, earth, lft indicator, rt indicator, Brake , electric brakes if applicable. Trailers under 500 kg. no need for brakes. Number plate light.

From looking at the wiring diagram as supplied by this forum the electrics are reasonable simple and taking a power take off from the appropiate wire in the boot area would be the same as say a General Motors Car or a ford product.

Am i right, and the bloke was just lining up to take advantage of the mercedes name and price accordingly.

Any advise will be well received

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.0l
19 Posts
Don't scare me. I'm about to see if i can get a quote for mine and i wouldn't suspect that wiring would be any problem.
Maybe he's been scared off by newer models and has the shakes even thinking about them?

·
Registered
291 Posts
He was probibly just refering to the wire sercut box that recieves your seprat signal light and brake light wires and converts them into one wire because most trailers are set up with the old standard two filament bulb and use the stop lamp as the signal lamp also.

P/S don't just splice the two wires into one it will cause problems. I have seen the boxes for sale in the US for 10-20 bucks so no need to worry[:D]

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.0l
19 Posts
theairboy - 5/13/2005 2:30 PM

He was probibly just refering to the wire sercut box that recieves your seprat signal light and brake light wires and converts them into one wire because most trailers are set up with the old standard two filament bulb and use the stop lamp as the signal lamp also.

P/S don't just splice the two wires into one it will cause problems. I have seen the boxes for sale in the US for 10-20 bucks so no need to worry[:D]
Not in Australia though, or for any other country in the world for that matter. Our turn signals are amber and a separate bulb from the brake lamp.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know the cars are that way but what I was saying is that the trailers (at least in north America) are set up with the a two filament bulb. So one elament is for the tail lamps and the other is for the brake lights and is cancelled out into a blinking state when the turn indacator is applied.

The way old cars used to be. The trailers just never changed.

So sense your car has a seperate wire for the (amber turn) and the (red) brake lights. the box takes the two wires with an isolator and sends the apropriot signal out the single wire to the trailer.

Thats how you can end up with a simple 4 wire plug.

One wire supplies both tail lights, one for rite signal, one for left signal, and one for the ground.

7 if you use the type you were talking about. its only seven because for very large trailers with electric brakes and a charging wire for the trailer batteries. so the seven wire conector is not for your extra wires that are on the car because it has seperate wires for the signal and brake lights.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know the cars are that way but what I was saying is that the trailers (at least in north America) are set up with the a two filament bulb. So one elament is for the tail lamps and the other is for the brake lights and is cancelled out into a blinking state when the turn indacator is applied.

The way old cars used to be. The trailers just never changed.

So sense your car has a seperate wire for the (amber turn) and the (red) brake lights. the box takes the two wires with an isolator and sends the apropriot signal out the single wire to the trailer.

Thats how you can end up with a simple 4 wire plug.

One wire supplies both tail lights, one for rite signal, one for left signal, and one for the ground.

7 if you use the type you were talking about. its only seven because for very large trailers with electric brakes and a charging wire for the trailer batteries. so the seven wire conector is not for your extra wires that are on the car because it has seperate wires for the signal and brake lights.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.0l
19 Posts
Wow 4 wire trailer plugs. who would have figured?
In Australia 7 pin connectors are common although it seems different States use different connectors, thereby requiring adaptors because of the hassle. 40 years ago 6 pin connectors were common but nowadays 7 pin has become standard although not all the connectors are usually wired in.
There certainly should be enough wires at the back of a 190e for standard wiring without hassles.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.0l
19 Posts
Wow 4 wire trailer plugs. who would have figured?
In Australia 7 pin connectors are common although it seems different States use different connectors, thereby requiring adaptors because of the hassle. 40 years ago 6 pin connectors were common but nowadays 7 pin has become standard although not all the connectors are usually wired in.
There certainly should be enough wires at the back of a 190e for standard wiring without hassles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts