Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E500 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be gentle, newbie :)

Just got my 2005 E500 4matic last night. I hate radio and must integrate my Ipod. I have been reading all of the input from the other members.

My struggle, I'm not sure I want to pay $500+ for the wired kits plus installation. I have also considered the the wireless units that play through an FM channel (much lower cost).

A few years ago I installed a wired Ipod unit in my truck, but the cost was much lower :)

Does anyone have experience using the wireless devices?

·
Registered
2004 E320 4matic
4 Posts
Congrats on the new E,
I just purchased an 04 E320 4matic for my wife on Monday and am dealing with the exact same thing.

My car has a plug in the glove box (top dead center) where I can use a cable from the iphone headphone jack. Did you check for this?

I traded in an 08 Infiniti which had Iphone integration. So this was the first thing she commented on, and I understand as it was an awsome feature.

·
Registered
2005 E500 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hadn't noticed this in the glove box.

Now to get a cable and find a source to power the Ipod.

Hope your wife enjoys her need ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have an expensive and complicated car now, everything for it will be at least expensive and maybe even complicated :)

You have to decide what you want to spend and get in return. If you are OK with the less than OK sound for very little - FM modulation can be the way. If you are fine to have a better quality, but deal with play lists and all other iPod features on the iPod itself - you need an Aux In. It may be cheaper, integrating into a CD changer port, for example, or it could be more expensive integrating into the MOST fiber optic network (just under $350 from us) - the difference, again, is in quality. Last, but not least - full iPod integration with factory controls used to control the iPod and sound integrated into MOST network - then fully integrated products are there. More money (from under $500), but more features and the best quality. As always, you get what you pay for, just for Mercedes it is more money either way :).

·
Registered
2005 E500 4matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ViseeO.us, I understand your point.

I have never tried the FM modulation, so I have no idea how it sounds. I enjoy my ipod, but I will never be accused of having a good ear LOL.

When you stated "it could be more expensive integrating into the MOST fiber optic network (just under $350 from us)" Who is "us" I could live with $350.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts