Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally tackled a brake pad and rotor change on my 2008 ML350, removed the brake fluid reservoir cap in preparation for compressing the caliper pistons. When I placed a rag around the reservoir opening to capture any overfill, the rag caught the side of this intermediate lid that had wire mesh over a small hole.

It went over the side of the reservoir into no mans land, it seems the area under the brake reservoir is partitioned away from everything else and has no opening at bottom for something to fall through.

I couldn't see it all and gave it up for lost. But then I had my wife drive the car to ensure the brakes were working fine and to set the final level of the reservoir. When she got back, I checked again for this thing and I could see it, I tried to push it up with a wooden dowel but it slipped out of sight again. I drove it twice more hoping it would appear again but no luck.

Anyway, what was this thing, do I need it and is there anyway to retrieve something from down there. Surely I am not the first person to drop something down there.

Not sure I need a wire mesh to filter out huge particles I am pouring into my reservoir. Would sort of hope my new brake fluid was better quality than that. However, I am worried this acts as some part of the seal against the cap. I will probably buy one anyway, just curious if I should be in a hurry or not.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I dont think its part of the seal but all brake reserviors have mesh of some sort to filter out debris.Hope the brake job went well other than that.One thing you might consider next time is opening the bleed valve on the caliper when compressing the pistons.That stops the nasty fluid from being forced back into the system(potentially overflowing your reservoir) and reduces the amount of fluid and time to flush the system considerably.When I did mine, the only place I could find the right fluid was at the dealership and still dont see it in any of the local stores.I always flush my brakes when i do pads etc and use my oil extractor to empty the reservoir first then refill with fresh fluid and begin the flush, another step that reduces time and fluid needed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Vern,

I don't understand your availability comment...Isn't Dot 4 brake fluid most everywhere?

Scott
You are correct, DOT 4 Is available everywhere, But DOT 4 Plus is not, at least not around here, and there is a difference between the 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts