Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 E350 4matic Luxury Sedan, 2011 E350 Avant Garde Cabriolet
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I posted a possible answer earlier today I feel like I can now ask a question.

The windshieldwipers on my 93 500SEL work only when they feel like it, and not always when it's raining! I tried to use the washer/wipers on the way back from a trip this week. The washer worked fine and squirted fluid all over the windshield. The wipers sat in park forcing me to pull over and pull out a shop rag and wipe the window off. About two or three minutes later the wipers started with wild abandon (the wiper stalk was in the off position). I decided to try again and they worked fine. Later when it started to rain I turned the wiper switch to intermitent (sorry about the spelling, I teach music not English) and...nothing! I could see with the light drizzle that we were having so I kept driving, but left the wipers on (but they were still in park). About two or three minutes later they magically started. I hadn't hit any bumps and hadn't touched the switch so I don't think that it's a connection problem. Could it be a relay, maybe?

HELP!

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Yea this has started to happen to me too, but I dont get them starting on their own just they work when tehy want to. The problem went away and have had no problems untill last night. Must be a relay or a clogged or dirty contact in the control stick?

·
Registered
'95 S500 Coupe (Sold), '86 420SEL (Sold), '06 ML320CDi, '87 300E (Sold), '90 500SEL, '90 300E-24
94 Posts
Mine did it about sixmonths ago, I had it fixed while i was overseas.

My probs were similar to yours, the wipers had a mind of their own and would go sometimes and not other times, and also when i turned the wipers onto full speed, the hazard lightswould come on.

There's a control unit which needs to be replaced. It's under the dash and controls wipers, hazard lights ans a few other things, the benz dealership referred to it as the control unit for the wipers.

anyway about $650 NZ Dollars and had to be shipped from germany.

·
Registered
573 Posts
its most likely your multifunction wiper relay. i had a similar problem afew months ago, and changing it fixed the problem.

It cost me about £100 (UK) from eurocarparts. Its located in the engine bay....under the fuses in the relay box.

the replacement relay actually has a differenet part number to the original that it replaces.....as it seems that they added some 'functionality' to it over time. but it works fine.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
mercbuff - 4/9/2006 8:10 AM

its most likely your multifunction wiper relay. i had a similar problem afew months ago, and changing it fixed the problem.

It cost me about £100 (UK) from eurocarparts. Its located in the engine bay....under the fuses in the relay box.

the replacement relay actually has a differenet part number to the original that it replaces.....as it seems that they added some 'functionality' to it over time. but it works fine.
Could I do it myself?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody! I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it fixed on Monday-rained all day yesterday and this morning and the wipers worked fine so I guess it was the relay.

Now if I can only get the right headlight wiper to go back to park![:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts