Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just about made it through 11' without a problem on my 03 ml500 but this morning on the way into work my wipers stopped abruptly. I could still hear the motor trying regardless of the switch position. A kind of grinding hum. It wasn't until I assisted the wipers with my hand and allowed a cycle to complete that the noise stopped.

So now when switched on, they rise up about 3" and stop. The motor sound continues until I help them out to complete the cycle.

Not a good time with winter approaching :(

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Pete

·
Premium Member
16,757 Posts
It sounds as if the wiper motor has stripped where it mounts to the wiper linkage. At the minimum you will need a new linkage and hopefully not the motor also.

Removing the wiper arms is the most difficult task in that you will need a puller to remove them, while they are in the upright position. Then remove the wiper grille and have a look see.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yep, i recently replaced my linkage and motor when the exact same problem. it was actually something stripped inside the motor, which is no problem because diy cost for both parts combined is low compared to taking it in to the shop.

The hardest part of the job is getting off the blades. unlike me don't lean on or pry on the glass...

others might know an easier way, but i think only way to tell if it is motor or linkage is to take blades off, take off grill then put blades back on so there is resistance against the windshield and watch linkage to see if anything is spinning.

betcha it is motor not the linkage!

you will definitely need the tool shown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts