Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ML350 which has the rain sensor wipers....
But recently when I make a left turn, the wipers turn on and wipe the glass even though its not raining.
I brought it to service and they said that its "an optical " problem with the sensor and the lighting. But even at night, it continues to do it. I think its a defect because why would I turn the rain sensor off when thats the reason I paid for them. So that I dont have to worry about the wipers.

Please advise if this has ever happened to anyone.

Any comments would help.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Do the wipers start when the setting is on auto or even when set off? Does not sound like a sensor issue if it only happens when turning to the left.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,517 Posts
I had to have my steering wheel changed do to faulty wiring in the wheel.
It could also be a disconnected wire that's shorting or touching ground. Does it do it when turning only one way?
Derek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the wipers start when the setting is on auto or even when set off? Does not sound like a sensor issue if it only happens when turning to the left.
the wipers are set to the lowest sensitivity "auto" setting so that when it sprinkles a little, then it automatically detects and wipes....

i told them that there might be wires touching.....but service couldnt give me a good enough reason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to have my steering wheel changed do to faulty wiring in the wheel.
It could also be a disconnected wire that's shorting or touching ground. Does it do it when turning only one way?
Derek
Thats what i thinkit is too....the wires must be touching for it to wipe like that...but whn they ran the coputer test, they said the wires were not touching....

why did you have to change your steering wheel? were your wipers doing the same thing?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Thats what i thinkit is too....the wires must be touching for it to wipe like that...but whn they ran the coputer test, they said the wires were not touching....

why did you have to change your steering wheel? were your wipers doing the same thing?
The stalk switches are signalled over the CAN-bus, if it is a touching wire, it would have to be the wire from the stalk to the steering column control unit. Odd if this happens only when turning to the left.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,517 Posts
I had them change the steering wheel because the horn wire shorted or grounded and was continually blasting on and off.
It sure did move a lot of traffic though!!..:D:D..and I almost got my head punched in for it.:eek::eek:
It's only when I put my hands in the air did they realize it wasn't me.:bowdown:

So in a big rush to remove the horn fuse under the passenger floor, the little folded paper with the fuse listing, has the horn listed under..............fanfare!!!! Who the f#*k would look there for the horn fuse??? I luckily did find it.
Good Luck!! Derek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only left turns?
yea. only left turn....they cant find anything wrong via the computer...so i am still driving like that....

since the wipers continue to do it, i have to turn off my wipers all together defeating the purpose of the raion sensor wipers

·
Registered
'04 Black CL500, "06 White ML350, '98 Red Boxster
124 Posts
Does your car still have its original warranty? If so there should be no problem...

I guess Im more simple minded than most but I wouldnt really care WHY its doing it. I also wouldnt leave the service center with it STILL doing it.

They can pay for my rental or courtesy car till they replace enough parts to fix the problem. Fact is, that is not normal and if the car is under warranty they have a obligation to fix it.
If its a "optical problem" its still a problem. My response would have been "ok, call me at home when you have fixed it" :)

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
you have warranty dude. go to the dealer and demand that the problem be fixed because its NOT supposed to be like that. Give them hell...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts