Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't consider it as a problem nor it bothers me but I'm just wondering, once in a while, the wipers wipe on their own even without rain sensed. Also happens for the back wipers. I would say they happen very occasionally. Anyone has the same "problem"? Will it damage the wiper blades?
I've searched the other forums and didn't find an answer. :confused:

Could be a software glitch? I will surely ask the dealer during my next service appointment.

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
463 Posts
I'm guessing this is caused by a dust buildup on the sensor or something. From Wiki:

The most common modern rain sensors are based on the principle of total internal reflection: an infrared light is beamed at a 45-degree angle into the windshield from the interior — if the glass is wet, less light makes it back to the sensor, and the wipers turn on.
So if something is on your windshield (be it rain, or dust or the palm of your hand), the sensor should initiate a wipe.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
I think that all models do that occasionally... I treat it as a 'nervous tic'. Your blades will be OK. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
06 ML350
88 Posts
Mine just did that the other day...... confused me a bit but I just brushed it off as a ghost....
Or a Gremlin

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..So if something is on your windshield (be it rain, or dust or the palm of your hand), the sensor should initiate a wipe.
Make sense. Thanks Yazovets :)

I guess it's dust build up but I'll still ask the dealer during my next service and I'll post if I can get any info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts