Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 99 C230 Kompressor. I am facing the same wiper problem as many others in the forum faced.

Problem Description:

When I turn on the wiper, it does not move.

I did this so far.

- I checked the wiper motor and it is good.

Mechanic told me that I have to replace the Wiper transmission. I read on
many of the threads that it's an expensive part.

Can any one suggest me a place to get a used or new Wiper transmission at a better than stealership price.

Are there any other solutions to fix this problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Check the bolt that connects the arm to the transmission/motor. It's a very tight space, but reach in with a small mirror tool (http://www.amazon.com/Telescope-Inspection-Telescoping-Mechanical-Electrical/dp/B005KX76WW) and flashlight to confirm that the bolt has not simply come undone. This happens often when the wiper assembly is not greased/lubed often enough. With a flexible head wrench, I was able to retighten the bolt and all was working again perfect.

Also, be sure to check that the plastic gear is functional (turning) within the motor I think. Don't forget to try your local salvage yard.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also try lubing up the mechanism. Mine stopped moving and would get stuck. There is a write up somewhere here if you search for it.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I would not buy a new transmision unless it shows signs it is actually seized up. Take the assembly out of the car and lube it up properly. Its not as difficult as you would think to remove. I'll see if I can find a writeup on this and post for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the responses. I ended up changing the transmission after trying all the suggestions provided by you folks.

I got a used transmission from automotix. After changing the transmission it worked for couple of days and now when I turn on the wiper, I hear a whirring sound and wiper does not move. Now my mechanic says, it is the wiper motor.

How to identify it is the wiper motor that is gone bad..

Please advise..

TIA..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Thank you very much for the responses. I ended up changing the transmission after trying all the suggestions provided by you folks.

I got a used transmission from automotix. After changing the transmission it worked for couple of days and now when I turn on the wiper, I hear a whirring sound and wiper does not move. Now my mechanic says, it is the wiper motor.

How to identify it is the wiper motor that is gone bad..

Please advise..

TIA..
Easiest way is to observe the motor itself for movement, but if it's whirring, to me that sounds like the motor is running but not connecting, which would lead me to think an incorrect install (most likely if it worked fine for a bit then stopped, maybe he didn't tighten something?) or the gear was starting to get stripped and the new transmission just pushed it over the edge. Time to pull it out and check individual components as you go, most everything can be seen without too much trouble, just time spent unscrewing and refitting the shrouds correctly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Note well: the nut connecting the motor to the transmission assembly has to be torqued to about 1million ftlb!

Seriously, I do not know what the torque requirement is, but it is quite large. You also want to use LocTite blue on the threads to make sure they don't loosen up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts