Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 500SL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wipers on my 94 500SL are working well on high speed but at medium or low they are pretty eratic and unpredictable. I'm told that I need a wiper module. Does this sound right to you? If so, where can I find a reasonable supplier of the part and where do I find the module on my car? Is this a "plug and play: type item?

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI Dogs
Yes it is a common problem. The module is loxcated in the top right hand corner of the engine bay if your facing it under a large plastic cowling towards the firewall.
Pete

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, 2005 S55, (2) 1991 300SLs, 1994 E320 cabriolet
4,517 Posts
Here is a picture of what Pete is talking about (K26). The module has several relays. It's my experience that you can restore the module by prying-off its cover and cleaning the contacts of the relays.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Bob a pic paints a thousand words lol
I see it is on the opp side to mine as I mine is a European model I am based in London
Pete

·
Registered
1994 500SL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are great! I'm going to give that a try. I sometimes hear a relay clicking sound that seems to come from under the passenger side dash I wonder if that's what it is.
I'll try cleaning it up first and see what happens.
If I have to replace it, do you know a reasonable parts source?
Thanks again.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,517 Posts
Caliber Motors is a dealer in SCalifornia which offers discounts to mail-order customers. You can Google your way to their website and ordering information.

The clicking sound you hear under the dash is very likely to be the vacuum switchover valve block which controls the flaps for the climate control. If it is clicking frequently, then this may indicate a vacuum leak or a worn feedback potentiometer on one of the air duct flaps.

·
Registered
1994 500SL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many thanks. I'll follow up with them.

I'm sure you have the answer on the "Clicking noise" as I tried closing the centre dash vents and guess what? No clicking noise!
Next question, how do I repair this myself or should I even try?

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,517 Posts
RE: Clicking

If the problem is a vacuum leak, diagnosis and repair are fairly easy, Ed. Autozone well lend you a vacuum pump that you can use to check the lines. But a problem with a feedback potentiometer on a flap would be tough, since you have to remove the dash to gain access.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts