Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It must be me. . . diligent use of the search feature failed to turn up a DIY for changing the wiper inserts. . .

First challenge for me was to actually figure out the right part number. I don't care for non-original wipers, seen too many cars with the wrong color arms and blade supports. The beautiful stainless arms on a 107 are a highlight of the appearance, so I was sticking stock.

After locating the correct part number for 19" blades, I ended up ordering a set from ECS. . . I ordered quantity two (2) and ended up with FOUR inserts. Oh well, now I have a set for next time.

Upon careful inspection of the inserts, it turns out that one end is a block and the other end has slots. This allows the insert to slide into the blade from one end. Once it slides all the way, it will stop-- you then give it a solid pull and it will slide into notches at the block end. Then it's done, and all the notches in the sides of the insert will align with notches in the blade.

How do you know which end gets the block? Well, it ends up being the inside end, which makes sense, because you don't want the inserts flying out due to centrifugal force. The block end is marked (at least on my blades) by the numeral 2.3.

Once the old inserts are removed (I used liquid dish soap as a lubricant) the new ones are assembled with the metal strips on each side, these face with the notches toward the insert. Then the insert with metal strips slides into the hooks on the blade.

The whole job took about 15 minutes for both blades.

For reassembly on the car, the blades only go on one way. The hook at the end of the arm goes around the pivot pin in the blade, but you will notice that the opening in the arm is only wide enough to accomodate the bent end of the hook if it goes on one way, not the other. If you assemble it backwards the bent end of the hook will hit the body of the blade, obviously wrong.

My final observation is that both my blades are the same length, I wonder if there is supposed to be one that is longer than the other. One of mine certainly overlaps the aluminum trim at the corner of the windshield, it just doesn't seem like the Benz engineers would do it that way.

Hope this helps someone!

Edit: found a link to the blade length Mystery: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1499135-correct-wiper-blade-length-r107.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
How nice you have the metal strips which I am lacking. I try never to be caught in the rain. But you have two the same length whereas one s/b shorter: passenger side 19" & driver side 17". Yes?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, both blades are the same length, each took a 19” (480mm) insert, except that one has a metal release tab, the other is plastic.

The drivers side arm is clearly hanging over the corner of the windshield. I need to measure what I have, maybe the arms were reversed left to right, or maybe I have an arm from the wrong year or a different car. The measurement will tell.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes, both blades are the same length, each took a 19” (480mm) insert, except that one has a metal release tab, the other is plastic.

The drivers side arm is clearly hanging over the corner of the windshield. I need to measure what I have, maybe the arms were reversed left to right, or maybe I have an arm from the wrong year or a different car. The measurement will tell.
A friend of mine who used to work on Mercedes told me the arms are not supposed to be parallel. The one that overlaps the windshield should be 1 notch higher on the wiper drive shaft. Thinking about German engineering, this may not be true, since the Germans tend to like smooth, straight lines, parallel, if necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
rcrmonte3
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing