Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s barely 2 weeks since I bought this new wiper $10 a pair and it’s already chattering and squeaking. How do I get quality wipers, please?

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,489 Posts
To prevent/reduce wiper chattering and squeaking, clean your windshield and then seal the glass with Rain-X. Use a good microfiber cloth. The ones from Costco are great.

It also helps to keep the window clean. I use Rain-X Waterless Car Wash or the 2-in-1 Exterior Detailer. They both have something in it that helps the wiper glide smoothly over the glass. Last but not least, treat the blade with Aerospace 303 on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes C300 4matic Sport (W204)
8 Posts
To prevent/reduce wiper chattering and squeaking, clean your windshield and then seal the glass with Rain-X. Use a good microfiber cloth. The ones from Costco are great.

It also helps to keep the window clean. I use Rain-X Waterless Car Wash or the 2-in-1 Exterior Detailer. They both have something in it that helps the wiper glide smoothly over the glass. Last but not least, treat the blade with Aerospace 303 on a regular basis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used Bosch beam wiper blades on my 2010 C300 for the last 3 or 4 years. Clean the windshield thoroughly and change the blades yearly. Works perfectly and I've had no problems with them.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
90 Posts
Bosch Icon last me over a year. No, they're not cheap, but then, neither is replacing cheap blades every three months.
Also use Rain-X washer fluid. Helps the water bead and flow off as well as making the blades glide like silk over the glass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't cheap out on things you require to see the road.

Go spend $15-20 per blade on some quality Bosch or Rain-X blades and you'll save money by not continually replacing the cheap crappy things you want to buy.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,140 Posts
Michelin and Rain-X make silicone blades that should last a very very long time.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I bought the Michelin silicone one a couple weeks ago. The mount broke and the wiper folded in half the second time I used it. Good thing it happened in my driveway and not while driving over the Santa Cruz Mountains in the pouring rain!

I replaced it with the Rain-X silicone one and its been great with all the rain we been having.

The mount is kind of big though. Kind of distracting seeing it thru the window when it's park at the bottom edge when not in use.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,140 Posts
I bought the Michelin silicone one a couple weeks ago. The mount broke and the wiper folded in half the second time I used it. Good thing it happened in my driveway and not while driving over the Santa Cruz Mountains in the pouring rain!

I replaced it with the Rain-X silicone one and its been great with all the rain we been having.

The mount is kind of big though. Kind of distracting seeing it thru the window when it's park at the bottom edge when not in use.
(Thank you for sharing this experience)!

The Michelin silicone blades were next on my list to buy/try. I used to buy the TriplEdge silicone wipers and while they would last a very long time, they’d be fine for a while, then start to chatter, and eventually tear. I guess they weren’t pure silicone like they claimed to be. Also their old fashioned blade style left something to be desired.

I also noticed that the universal mounts provided tend to be quite large, but I go around trying any beam style blade I just so happen to be able to grab (at a good price) while at a store, I can’t exactly gauge which brand is best or worse regarding mount size. (That’s also a good point to share). Rain-X Exact Fit beam style blade has been my go to choice at Walmart. They are just under $10 each which is a great price for a beam style blade. The mount isn’t as grotesquely large as one other that I bought, I’m guessing it is the Optimum I bought at Sam’s Club. Sam’s Club also has beam style blades, for around $11. Costco switched to a hybrid style from beam, a downgrade in my opinion, so I stopped buying there.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
This was on my W210 which has the mono wiper. If it breaks, you're SOL! I have the used OEM one in my trunk now!

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,962 Posts
It’s barely 2 weeks since I bought this new wiper $10 a pair and it’s already chattering and squeaking. How do I get quality wipers, please?
Spend more than $10 a pair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about a hat tip to MBZ engineers for the simplest blade attachment ever!
The only issue -- at least on the 2010 C300 -- is that you can install the blades upside down. That works OK until you turn the wiper on then it pitches the blade over the top of the car. Don't ask me how I learned that.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,140 Posts
This was on my W210 which has the mono wiper. If it breaks, you're SOL! I have the used OEM one in my trunk now!
This is the first time I’ve heard of the mount breaking, and some of the TriplEdge ones I’ve used are shoddy plastic. I’m hoping it was just a really UNLUCKY fluke...

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the first time I’ve heard of the mount breaking, and some of the TriplEdge ones I’ve used are shoddy plastic. I’m hoping it was just a really UNLUCKY fluke...
The mount didn't break. If you put the blade on upside down it will slip in the mounting pin fine but the locking lever on the blade is on the inside, next to the arm and there isn't a grove there for the lock lever to slide into. When the wipers are turned on the blade slips off the pin.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The mount didn't break. If you put the blade on upside down it will slip in the mounting pin fine but the locking lever on the blade is on the inside, next to the arm and there isn't a grove there for the lock lever to slide into. When the wipers are turned on the blade slips off the pin.
I can assure you it broke! The plastic mount actually shattered. The Michelin has a hook mount that snaps lock in place, no locking lever and impossible to mount upside down accidentally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can assure you it broke! The plastic mount actually shattered. The Michelin has a hook mount that snaps lock in place, no locking lever and impossible to mount upside down accidentally.
[/QUOT
Not all Mercedes models use the same wiper blade mounting system. That's why is specified the W204. Check out the attached clip.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Not all Mercedes models use the same wiper blade mounting system. That's why is specified the W204. Check out the attached clip.
That's true............but most if not all replacement wipers that are not OEM have universal mounts. My W210 uses the default hook mount which is the simplest and strongest one. I have never experienced a wiper mount failure in over 50 years. Maybe I got a defective one. The plastic was on the thin side on the Michelin though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts