Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
I don't see any reason to keep the OE wipers other than in a spare parts box. Old technology. Same as 60's Chevys etc.

Aesthetics? Paint newer black ones silver.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Just installed inserts, kind of a pain to do. I cut off the old end tabs to make removal of the old ones easier. Once removed put the steel line things into the new rubber inserts. Now put soap and water on the rubber channel and it will help you to slide the new blades into the blade holders, no bending tabs or anything like that. Thats it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did mine today. Did not bend any tabs to accomplish. Looked at how the old ones were installed. Each one was different... Just played with them until I figured out the metal strip is supposed to fit in the top slot. Once I get them started they slipped right in. Must admit though my fingers are sore right now from trying different methods before I figured it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ditto to the above. First, it took me about 6 weeks to find the proper Bosch blade inserts. Purchasing a set that were "Guaranteed to Fit" resulted in receiving a set that did not come close to fitting. Finally went to Advance Auto and they had them in their computer inventory so they special ordered them for me, and they fit perfectly. I finally figured out how to deal with replacement. I borrowed my wife's very small jewelry needle nose pliers and pulled out the stainless inserts. Note up-down orientation of the ends. Total time for this process is less than 30 seconds. Next, squeeze the old inserts out of the tabs and remove. I would not suggest prying open the tabs. This takes a few minutes to get the hang of this process. Then reverse the process. Squeeze the new inserts into the tabs and insert the stainless steel inserts. I then tapped them into the blades and there you go.
Just got this done for an '87 560SL -- no need to bend the tabs at all. I replaced the rubber blades with these 19" Bosch inserts (000 824 18 27) for $12. Just pinch the old rubber inserts out from the "claws", then slide out the old wiper and metal inserts. When installing the new wipers, put the metal inserts in after pinching the rubber insert back under the claws.

Sorry to revive an old thread but thought it might be helpful

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks jreina for the tips and sharing the link - I looked at EPC and it appears 0008241827 were universal for the entire SL lifecycle, but scrolling through the posts here it sounds like some of us had 18" or 19" fitted. I'll check out mine tonight just to be sure.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hmmm, so while my wipers bear Bosch logo they don't seem to be the correct replica as they're only 45cm long rather than 48cm. I'll have to investigate this a little bit more.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
@jreina I've looked around and it seems that there were both 18 and 19" variations, with the shorter ones being for SL and the longer ones for SLC. Question, when you cycle your wipers does either of them cross the chrome trim on top of the windshield? More info here https://www.benzworld.org/threads/correct-wiper-blade-length-for-r107.1499135/
They don't cross over the trim. The ones I linked were an exact fit for my '87 560SL. If you wanna know the exact length of yours just measure them.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks @jreina, like I mentioned I measured mine in the 79 450SL and they are 45 cm / 18" - if they were any longer they would touch the trim. Looking through EPC there are different options available and the 19" / 0008241827 are "Wiper Radius Enlarged", whereas the ones I need are 18" / 0008241427. Mystery solved, also my 79 don't have the steel inserts to support the rubber, they're not listed separately in EPC either.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think I took from EPC that wiper blade insert replacements are 2 x A 000 824 18 27 from chassis 044 014275 to 044 042465 which includes my '74 SL. These are 480mm/19" according to EuroMotives, and I measured mine to be 18 3/4 - 19". I think some SL models might have different left and right inserts, but apparently not mine. Bosch replacement inserts with that part number from Pelican Parts fit fine (no interference with the top trim). You do have to retain the pair of steel support bands on each insert. Pelican Parts also offers MBZ-labelled inserts; perhaps they have the steel bands, I don't know.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks PEvans, and you're on the money - it does look some SL's came with 1x 18" and 1x 19" wipers, and some came with 2x 18" and yet others with 2x 19". MB rubbers don't come with the steel bands, confirmed at dealership - you need to get the whole blade. That said I think any thin flat or small round piece of stainless steel cut to size (1,5mm wide 45 cm long) will do the trick ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
miko1aj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing