Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background
Replacing worn windshield wiper blades with refills. Removed old blades and retained metal guides. AutohausAZ's Bosch wiper blade refills have a very poor installation picture. It suggests using needle nose pliers to compress the insert metal guides into holders at each end.

Question
Is there a specific process to install wiper blade refills?

Thank You

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You may need to squash the claws to minimise lateral tilting of the replacement blades but must allow free travel for the blades to adapt to the curve of the windsheild.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A buddy of mine who is much more talented than me helps me keep my cars on the road - he is a master mechanic who has done more than a couple ground up restorations - one of the only times I have seen him lose his cool was with those MB wiper blade inserts!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can relate to your mechanic friend!!

A buddy of mine who is much more talented than me helps me keep my cars on the road - he is a master mechanic who has done more than a couple ground up restorations - one of the only times I have seen him lose his cool was with those MB wiper blade inserts!!!
I just replaced the wiper inserts on my wife's car this past weekend using the Bosch inserts. I will say, my only saving grace was that I thought ahead enough and decided against removing both old inserts at the same time. Without bending the retainers on one side only (don't bend both parts of each holder!!) I was cussing up a storm and had to tell my dad to stop asking me questions about this and that just so I could concentrate on holding the wiper blade arm, the insert and both stainless metal "sleeves" that go on each side of the new blade.

I looked at the 2 or 3 ridiculously basic installation diagrams that came with the blades and finally had to refer back to the original old blade just to confirm which groove I have to put the metal inserts in and which groove I have to crimp the holder tabs into.

What a friggin' nightmare and I hope I never have to install those again!! I will say they look so much better than the off the shelf complete replacement blades. Bring on the car show judges!!

Ted

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tfvesquire, Djenka018, and OldWorldShepards

This is a very awkward task. Here is what I learnt:

(1) Use a piece of carpet to place the wiper arm/carrier on

(2) Reviewed diagrams of wiper refill packaging; noted placement of metal guides

(3) Removed old rubber wipers; rubber wipers were coming apart, so I simply pulled them apart in pieces; revealed metal guides; pulled metal guides out

(4) Lay wiper arm/carrier on carpet placed on garage floor

(5) With needle nose pliers bend tabs slightly on one side or the other for each pair; at first I was trying to install without pulling back tabs which proved to be a nightmare...ultimately I was not successful with this approach...I was concerned about metal fatigue from bending the tabs

(6) Slip metal guides in proper position (slot furthest from wiper blade that contacts windshield); held wiper refill vertically to install (sometimes they fall out partially); rotate wiper refill to horizontal position

(6) With the tabs spread open further, it is relatively easy to place the refill into the proper position; if guides fall out, back to (6)

(7) Compress tabs with needle nose pliers with particular attention to proper alignment; be careful to only compress slightly

Note: Once I realized that I had to slightly spread the tabs on one side, the process was much easier; no question it is a pain to keep the metal guides in place...just turn your favorite music on before starting

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts
I brought my blades to my MB parts guy and watched him swap out the inserts in under 2 minutes.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If I understand correctly, you fitted the refill from a side and then just squashed the claws?

Unless refills are utterly different... I "slid" the Bosch refill along the length and through all the "claws" till the last one which had a metal piece that just locks.
Refill was a notch narrower for the claws to prevent lateral rocking so I removed them and adjusted the gap of the claw to just about allow minimal movement. Next time it will be 15 seconds for the lot

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Djenka018:

I initially sought to thread the refill without opening the tabs (claws) any further. Since the old wiper fell apart I did not alter the position of the tabs. I experienced no luck attempting to thread the refill.

Once I slightly open one side of the tabs along the full length of the carrier that made positioning the refill easy, then slightly crimped the previously expanded tab.

Following this process, I was able to match Nobby's dealer install time.

To fully complete the install process, I followed the YouTube video wiper arm removal/install process. Very easy. Without this information I would likely still be trying to remove.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ditto to the above. First, it took me about 6 weeks to find the proper Bosch blade inserts. Purchasing a set that were "Guaranteed to Fit" resulted in receiving a set that did not come close to fitting. Finally went to Advance Auto and they had them in their computer inventory so they special ordered them for me, and they fit perfectly. I finally figured out how to deal with replacement. I borrowed my wife's very small jewelry needle nose pliers and pulled out the stainless inserts. Note up-down orientation of the ends. Total time for this process is less than 30 seconds. Next, squeeze the old inserts out of the tabs and remove. I would not suggest prying open the tabs. This takes a few minutes to get the hang of this process. Then reverse the process. Squeeze the new inserts into the tabs and insert the stainless steel inserts. I then tapped them into the blades and there you go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iowa560SL:

Your process is better because it avoids potential metal fatigue from slightly bending the tabs. Since I have installed the new wiper inserts, it will be years before I have to replace and try this approach. But others can learn from our efforts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ditto to the above. First, it took me about 6 weeks to find the proper Bosch blade inserts. Purchasing a set that were "Guaranteed to Fit" resulted in receiving a set that did not come close to fitting. Finally went to Advance Auto and they had them in their computer inventory so they special ordered them for me, and they fit perfectly. I finally figured out how to deal with replacement. I borrowed my wife's very small jewelry needle nose pliers and pulled out the stainless inserts. Note up-down orientation of the ends. Total time for this process is less than 30 seconds. Next, squeeze the old inserts out of the tabs and remove. I would not suggest prying open the tabs. This takes a few minutes to get the hang of this process. Then reverse the process. Squeeze the new inserts into the tabs and insert the stainless steel inserts. I then tapped them into the blades and there you go.
I am looking for blade inserts for 84 380SL and the dealer quote $49...a piece! Do these Bosche work Part No. P7042388929BOS or Advanced Auto have the correct size to use with the original stainless wiper arms?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,467 Posts
I am looking for blade inserts for 84 380SL and the dealer quote $49...a piece! Do these Bosche work Part No. P7042388929BOS or Advanced Auto have the correct size to use with the original stainless wiper arms?
Run not walk from that dealer now and in the future. Over MSRP by almost $10.00 each and discount price by almost $20.00 each. Mercedes-Benz Parts - OE Discount Parts

Try google on the part number 000 824 18 27

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went to Advanced Auto and asked if they carried Bosch inserts for the 560SL. At first the guy helping me laughed, then he said he would take a look. The Bosch part # he came up with for the 560SL is 3 397 033 367, and they fit perfectly. I forgot what I paid but it was around $12 for a set, plus/minus. They added $6 for special order. I have no idea if these will fit the 380SL but I would take a trip to Advanced Auto and ask them to do a search in their computer inventory. The guy at the desk was shocked that mine were listed.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Just ordered a set off ebay, $12 shipped. My car uses 18in, the 0008241827 are 19in blades. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Just went to local NAPA. One universal 18" wiper blade, one 19" universal wiper blade. Installed in about 5 Minutes for $13.00. Guy behind the counter had experience with this style of wiper blades. Pulled stainless strips from origionals, and slid universals right in. He said to keep the strips in case someone had origional wiper refills. So, I have the stainless insert strips, if anyone needs them PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just went to local NAPA. One universal 18" wiper blade, one 19" universal wiper blade. Installed in about 5 Minutes for $13.00. Guy behind the counter had experience with this style of wiper blades. Pulled stainless strips from origionals, and slid universals right in. He said to keep the strips in case someone had origional wiper refills. So, I have the stainless insert strips, if anyone needs them PM me.
I think you are going to find that you need those strips. My blades rolled without those strips. They only take a few seconds to install. I suggest not throwing them away.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think you are going to find that you need those strips. My blades rolled without those strips. They only take a few seconds to install. I suggest not throwing them away.
Thanks for the heads up. Will install wipers on car today, and test.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I replaced mine about two years ago and remember it being not quite a PITA but close. Ironic thing is that I have never had to use them...rain here is about as common as a royal flush on a slot machine. The old ones were of unknown age and were pretty brittle.

Here's a tip. Take a strip of 600 or so wet/dry, soak it in water and fold it into a V. A few swipes along the blade of the wiper will remove any imperfections or corrosion and you'll get longer life out of them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I tried to replace my inserts yesterday. i got Bosch inserts, which are completely made of soft rubber. The ones in the car now have a hard plastic base, with a metal locking clip at one end. The Bosh inserts won't stay in place. Is that the reason for stainless inserts?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mirv:

Based on my experience (limited), the answer is yes. I purchased my wiper inserts from AutohausAZ. Reasonable if you meet their minimum price point for free shipping. The stainless steel strips are integral to holding the blades in place and providing some degree of rigidity. You want to make certain that you carefully remove these strips from the old wipers.

Previous owner had a Mercedes dealership install new wipers. Unfortunately they installed aftermarket Anco blades. Worked perfectly but are not OE for the vehicle...look terrible.

Lastly, there is a great video on removing the wiper arm and oiling the wiper mechanism. It can be found on a BenzWorld thread or by a Google search. Unfortunately I found no videos nor steps on wiper insert replacement...ergo this thread.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
16 Participants
miko1aj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing