Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the rear end changed out, so I had a chance to see my 2002 ML55 from underneath and I was surprised at how much rust there was.

I just spent the morning wire brushing and undercoating where I found the rust. Nothing is compromised so it wasn't that bad, but it was fair warning that something could develop later on if not taken care of.

I went through 6 aerosol cans of 3M spray undercoat to get into every nook and cranny I could see from underneath.

If you're in a climate that is expecting snow, I suggest you get under your car before the season gets underway and at least check it out:

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would a "rust-stopper" paint work as well or is the undercoating the preferred product? Lots of surface rust on the frame but I have been getting regular maintenance items out of the way. Front brake pads today, hopefully rears on Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, my daily driver S600 sedan is black, my ML55 is silver. Always was.

I used a 3M product to do the undercoating. Wire brush off the rust and spray the metal. It's a rubberized coating that I'm told works quite well. I was surprised at how much of the underneath had a superficial coating of rust, it seemed all of the bottom need to be sprayed. It took 6-cans of the stuff to get it all!

Look out for overspray. If you do, brake cleaner will get it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts