Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2011 B200T
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new B200T. I'm trying to decide whether to put winter tires on now or see how the tires that came with the car do for a winter or 2. I live in the Guelph area and for the most part just drive around town. I always figured that if you put winter tires on your other tires would last twice as long. Thing is I'm reluctant to fork out the dough right now. The car is on 4 year lease and I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll be keeping it...thanks

·
Registered
2007 B200 (traded), 2013 Veloster, 2009 Escape
261 Posts
I have a brand new B200T. I'm trying to decide whether to put winter tires on now or see how the tires that came with the car do for a winter or 2. I live in the Guelph area and for the most part just drive around town. I always figured that if you put winter tires on your other tires would last twice as long. Thing is I'm reluctant to fork out the dough right now. The car is on 4 year lease and I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll be keeping it...thanks
If it has the Continental ProContacts, you need winter tires. Those things suck in the rain, never mind snow. If you have a better all season tire, then maybe. The roads around S Ontario get plowed and salted pretty fast. But have you priced a 17" alloy from MB (Think ice+kerb)? Probably the cost of at least a pair of winter tires and rims!

My Hankook winter tires handle better - on all surfaces - and are quieter than the Conti stock tires...so I wouldn't even consider the Contis in the winter. Or as replacements when they wear out....but that's another story

·
Registered
2011 B200T
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it has the Continental ProContacts, you need winter tires. Those things suck in the rain, never mind snow. If you have a better all season tire, then maybe. The roads around S Ontario get plowed and salted pretty fast. But have you priced a 17" alloy from MB (Think ice+kerb)? Probably the cost of at least a pair of winter tires and rims!

My Hankook winter tires handle better - on all surfaces - and are quieter than the Conti stock tires...so I wouldn't even consider the Contis in the winter. Or as replacements when they wear out....but that's another story
I'm convinced...wasn't too hard was it?...my B does have the ProContacts so I ordered Replicka rims with the Hankook 409"s...thanks for the input....Mike

·
Registered
2015 B-Class
43 Posts
Question for those of you that have steel wheels for their winter tires:

There are small metal (aluminum alloy?) caps on the shafts of the front wheels. Are there any similar caps on the rear wheels? I don't have a picture, but they look like small hats :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
No. The rear wheels show polished steel hubs that will rust up quickly if not treated against it. I would recommend putting M-B hubcaps on if you want the car to look reasonable in winter. The wheels rust easily too.

·
Registered
2015 B-Class
43 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I was hoping that there are some MB or aftermarket caps.

Look is important, but I don't think that the hub caps (I will get them if I find them at a reasonable price!) will protect the hub in the winter - how can I treat the hubs?

·
Registered
2008 B200 Turbo, Comet Grey, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, CVT
99 Posts
Well my B is gone and I just listed my winter kit in the classified here on this site.

Although I have not posted in some time I have lurked and read, and found this forum invaluable. Thanks all, let me know if someone is interested in the kit.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
To protect the rear hubs, put some Rust Check on them, or a similar product (I used Waxoyl).

·
Registered
2006 b200,99 windstar
211 Posts
Finally found some winter rims , got the tires put on yesterday, today I installed them.
They look pretty good.

rims are take-offs painted M.B. grey 16x7.5 5x112 et 42 cb 66.6
find the rims a little wide for the 205/55r16 tires but they are in the range allowed for that tire size

·
Registered
2006 b200,99 windstar
211 Posts
Well my B is gone and I just listed my winter kit in the classified here on this site.

Although I have not posted in some time I have lurked and read, and found this forum invaluable. Thanks all, let me know if someone is interested in the kit.
wish I would have seen your post before I bought my winter kit:crybaby2:

·
Registered
2011 B200 Turbo
7 Posts
If anyone is interested, since I've also sold my b200t recently I have a set of winter tires on rims (16 in.) that I am trying to sell. The tires are nokian hakka r and only used for one season. Please PM me if interested.

I am located in Toronto, closer to Mississauga/Oakville area.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,487 Posts
Question for those of you that have steel wheels for their winter tires:

There are small metal (aluminum alloy?) caps on the shaftsof the front wheels. Are there any similar caps on the rear wheels? I don't have a picture, but they look like small hats :)

Thanks!
The axle shafts have identical metal caps on all 4 wheels.

The mag wheels have a plastic insert at the center of each wheel. The steel wheels do not have a cap covering at the center,... and the metal axle cap is exposed to the weather but nothing can enter past the axle cap.

I have MB steel wheels with the matching plastic full wheel covers from MB for the winter,...and I've never had an issue with rust at the 4 axle caps yet........

·
Registered
2006 b200,99 windstar
211 Posts
winter steelies

Here are some pics of my steelies,the hubs are the same front and back
I did find a little rust on the back hubs, I used silver anti-seize paste on my hubs as a rust protector-enhancer.
Rust-check as suggested earlier in the thread is a good idea also.
The oem studs from the MB mags are used on the steelies after I checked the they protruded the same amount from the back of the wheel 7/8"
I waxed the rims before installing ,hope that keeps some of the rust away.
I like the look and will not be looking for hub caps,
Let me know what you think
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Looks great...!!...and you're all set for winter.

Some of us here have installed the MB mud flaps(myself included). They do a good job of keeping the splash ups on the front doors to a minimum.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Silver wheels! Mine are black and have pizza pan hubcaps. If yours get rusty you can slap some pizza pans on too. The rim to wheel centre joint is a rust-nest, so sume Waxoyl or rust check applied in that crack would do wonders (also, on the back of the wheels). Mine were getting rusty there after the first year.

·
Registered
2006 b200,99 windstar
211 Posts
winter rims

Thanks Derek ,Not to bad :rolleyes:, would you have a pic of those mud flaps installed?
I was just thinking about just that ,was wondering if I should go MB or universal .

Mike thanks ,I will be shooting some rust check on the hubs! great tip!! also on the front coils ...after I read the post on them breaking,I have to check the history.. but I think my coils were already changed.
Back to winter tires...Here is a pic of a b200 kit for sale in Ottawa...are these pizza hub caps like yours
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Here are the requested pics. :thumbsup:

The rear mud flaps do look a little dorky when viewed from the rear, but they do protect the red plastic body parts from chips too.
The fronts are quite subtle and do their job well. They are very easy to install and seem of good quality too. Those are the same model of MB winter hub caps as your pic.

You will be paying a fraction of what I payed at the dealer back in the fall of 2005..........

I also coat all metal attachment springs for the hubcaps and all of the steel wheel seams too. Absolutely no rust on my wheels,...but I'm crazy fussy too.......

Can't believe I sent a pic of my B not 100% clean.:bowdown:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts