Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
C320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to New York and experienced my first bad snowstorm. My car has 18" chrome wheels and the tires didn't help the snow and ice situation. Will the salt on the road ruin the chrome? Should I get a set of snow tires to mount the OE rims on?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Ron [:)]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I recently moved to New York and experienced my first bad snowstorm. My car has 18" chrome wheels and the tires didn't help the snow and ice situation. Will the salt on the road ruin the chrome? Should I get a set of snow tires to mount the OE rims on?

The salt may ruin the chrome, making it dull and possibly causing it to rust sooner. I'd recommend either a set of steel wheels or the OE wheels, as you mentioned. Try the Michelin Arctic Alpins or Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires. They should help significantly in the snow.

Good luck! [:)]

·
Registered
68 Posts

Heres MB's "official" approved winter tires for the 203 chassis(does not include C32)

Continental Winter Contact TS770
Continental Winter Contact TS790
Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Michelin Pilot Aspin
Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport

Tire size 205/55/16 91 M+S
[:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well i would have to go with the forged allowy rims and the michlin piolt aspin. The Pi...

Well i would have to go with the forged allowy rims and the michlin piolt aspin. The Pirelli would have to be a great tire but it would be really expensive.

·
Registered
2000 E320S4M
1,945 Posts
We had a set of Artic Alpins on steel wheels on our 2001 C240 Sport and I recommend gettin...

We had a set of Artic Alpins on steel wheels on our 2001 C240 Sport and I recommend getting either the Pilot Aplin or the Dunlop Winter Sport M2.

I have had the Dunlops on the ML all winter and they are great.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
anyone know of a cheap rim ($150-200) to use in winter that will fit a 2005 230 sport sedan....run a 225/45/r17 and have a correct offset to clear teh front caliper and then the fender?

stock is a 36 - 34mm
bought a set with 35mm w/ 3mm spacer - no dice

thanks
jake

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put Continental ExtremeContact 225-45-17 tires on my 03 C240 4Matic, and so far they work great. A little noisier than the Conti Touring tires, but a lot more grip.

No problems with rubbing. I used ITN 140 rims.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
thanks for the update...but i still dont think that works for me because of the huge brakes on the 2005 sport sedans...but thank you - good luck, safe motoring
jake

·
Registered
2004.5 C230 SS
55 Posts
veedub - 12/31/2002 1:56 PM

Heres MB's "official" approved winter tires for the 203 chassis(does not include C32)

Continental Winter Contact TS770
Continental Winter Contact TS790
Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Michelin Pilot Aspin
Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport

Tire size 205/55/16 91 M+S
[:)]
where'd ya get this list? i looked on mbusa.com and couldn't find any info [:(] could you please provide a link? thanks~! [:)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts