Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
07 ML320 CDI
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'07 CDI came with 255/55 R19 tires on what I assume are the 8" wheels with a 60mm offset. Looking at winter tires, and see very limited selection in the correct 19", so thinking about going to a 17 x7.5" with a 56mm offset and 235/65 R17 which is the smallest of the three sizes listed as OE on the CDI. The size I presently have is listed as part of a sport package. What are the other components of the sport package? Anything that would interfere with the smaller wheels/tires? Any reason not to downsize for the winter?

From Discount Tire and Tire Rack, it appears that the 19" tires are about the same price as a tire and wheel package in 17". Would be nice to swap them out in the driveway twice a year instead of visiting the tire store for a mount/dismount & balance twice a year.

Thanks

·
Registered
'11 ML350
131 Posts
for what it's worth, I'll provide some info on something you didn't even ask...tires.

Michelin Cross Terrain - the best all weather tire I have ever had, combining great wear and traction. Currently have 40K miles with 7/32 tread still remaining. Traction - flawless in thousands of miles thru Colorado ski country. I can't comment on ride comfort since they're on a '99 430, basically a truck to start with.

Only downside is that it's available only in limited sizes, but there is a selection in the 17-18" size you mentioned.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
You shouldn't have any fitting problems as long as you pick wheels with the correct dimensions: offset, bolt pattern, etc. Both Tire Rack and Discount Tire will know the correct sizes. The only MLs with fitting problems in smaller wheels are the AMG models which have larger brakes. Sport packages on MLs don't include larger brakes.

Everybody thinks the winter tires they bought are the best. But it depends on the type of conditions you expect to drive in: fresh snow, hard packed snow, ice, extreme cold, whatever. I'm guessing that in Washington you will be driving on mainly wet roads with occasional fresh snow and possible trips up Shasta, but little or no extreme cold. That indicates a winter tire with possibly less grip in fresh snow and better ride on normal pavement. If I lived where you live, I'd probably install Nokian WRs on my 19 inch wheels and use them year round. They are the only "all season" that is rated a full snow tire. Otherwise I'd go for Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow or Bridgestone Blizzaks on 17-inch wheels.

·
Registered
2002 ML320 SOLD, 2008 Mustang GT, 2012 Ford Escape
96 Posts
I have used the Michelin Cross Terrains which I agree FredGarvin are really great tires. They last a long time (60,000 miles) and they are great in snow.

When they finally wore out, I couldn't get them in the correct size (no longer available anymore in 255/60/17). I ended up replacing them with Goodyear Fortera Tripletread All Weather tires (all weather - NOT all season). These tires absolutely blow away the performance of the Cross Terrains. All you need to do is look at the tire survey on Tire Rack. They are rated as #2 of the 58 tires tested.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
I have used the Michelin Cross Terrains which I agree FredGarvin are really great tires. They last a long time (60,000 miles) and they are great in snow.

When they finally wore out, I couldn't get them in the correct size (no longer available anymore in 255/60/17). I ended up replacing them with Goodyear Fortera Tripletread All Weather tires (all weather - NOT all season). These tires absolutely blow away the performance of the Cross Terrains. All you need to do is look at the tire survey on Tire Rack. They are rated as #2 of the 58 tires tested.
Same thing. There has never really been such a thing as an "all-season" tire and, in recognition of that, most tire manufacturers are moving toward the more accurate phrase "all-weather". So even though I should perhaps have used that term in describing the Nokian WRs, they remain the only all-anything tires to qualify for the snowflake icon that designates them as true snow tires.

And my suggestion to the OP stands: You can't generalize about tires. You have to evaluate them based on the conditions in which they will be used. Winter conditions in the Pacific northwest are quite different from Colorado or southern Ontario.

·
Registered
2009 C300 4Matic Sport
4 Posts
All Weather Tires

I would like to hear from anyone running Nokian WRG2 All Weather Tires, all year around.

I am considering getting a set of 225/45R17 XL from Kaltire.

I have read some good reports on them, but nothing from MB owners.

They are 94H rated and will fit my current MB wheels with 7.5" front and 8.5" widths.

I realise that this is a compromise solution, but the other (best) solution is alloy rims and snows.

I ran my OEM Michis last winter, but now there is not enough tread on them to comfortably do it again.

Any feedback yould be appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 S550 W221
17 Posts
OK so i relize that this is an Old topic i hope i will get a reply from someone before i attempt to ask the question in a new thread. this is a bit different!! so I am a true believer in studdable snow tires/Studded snow tires. From my experience they actually come without the studds and you will have to bring them to a special shop to apply the studds on them.. I have found this tire and i wonder if it will fit with the OEM wheel we have on our W164 255/55R18 :
"Grabber AT2
Exceptional traction over all terrains. Aggressive self-cleaning tread pattern enhances off-road and wet traction capabilities." General Tire - Off-Road and Performance Tires - The Tires - Light Truck & SUV

these are the tire spec just look for 255/55R18 in the Size and Spec tab: General Tire - Off-Road and Performance Tires - The Tires - Light Truck & SUV

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Your owners manual specifies which winter tire/wheel combinations are suitable for your vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts