Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 W124 300TE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this crazy idea and just want to get some opinions on it. I live in middle BC where it does get cold in the winter. This year it came really early and caught us all by surprise - it was -20C this morning.
I bought my car from the coast in March of this year and down there they rarely see temps below 0C so generally vehicles don't have block heaters and mine doesn't. But up here I need something.

So I was thinking of putting in an inline coolant heater in one of the heater hoses and also wiring in a 12v ac to dc transformer to run the electric coolant pump from the extension cord, not the car battery. The idea being that this would be on a timer to kick on about 30 mins before going to work in the morning. The timer would turn on the heater and start warming the coolant in the heater line, and the electric pump would kick on and circulate it through the heater core and the block.

As I understand it, when the vehicle is cold (ie, thermostat closed) that electric pump circulates the warming up coolant from around the block to the heater core to provide inside heat more quickly.
This seems to be the easiest way to get some preheat into my engine for the cold winter mornings. I don't really want to go the 'freeze plug block heater' route because from what I have read that can be problematic and would be more difficult to install.
The only problem I see so far is finding a 120v - 12v ac -> dc transformer that will handle the amperage draw of that pump.

Any comments/ideas on this?

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,447 Posts
They used to make the unit your talking about might just want to check online. Had one in my datsun.

·
Registered
1987 W126 420SEL, 2006 F350 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
225 Posts
-13 here this morning. mine started up just fine. these are german cars. they will start. all the new ones are sold without block heaters.

i will say this. running synthetic oil really helps in the cold.:thumbsup:

make sure you check your antifreeze!

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,420 Posts
I'd also install an oil pan heater pad and transmission pan heater pad.Not a fun task, but necessary. Use the black or orange RTV.

·
Registered
1987 W126 420SEL, 2006 F350 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
225 Posts
if you have a tractor supply store near you. check out the auto parts section. they usually carry those coolant heaters and circulators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts