Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, <br>
Do you think that leaving it in 'winter' mode all the time (starts in 2nd) will get better mileage? I usually leave it in w most of the time, gives smoother starts. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THAT"S BAD FOR YOU TRANSMISSION

Starting in second gear every time you take off will put too much stress on your engine and transmission. If you want better mileage then you are not going to get it by leaving it in winter mode. Think about it, if you car has to start from second gear everytime that you take off then you have to push the gas peddle more to give it more power because the 2nd gear is weaker than the 1st gear. The first gear is there for a reason. Notice how the 96' c280 (with the 4 speed automatic transmission) does not have as good of gas mileage as the 97'-2000' models (with the 5 speed driver adaptive transmission). <br> If you don't believe me then try it yourself. Leave your car in winter mode the next time you fill up your gas tank and then leave it in standard mode after. Compare the mileage per gallon that you get from the first tank with the winter mode to the mileage per gallon you get from the standard mode.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: THAT

Thanks for the input. I actually did it, not for better milage, but for a smoother start from a stop. I just thought that better mileage might occur too. <br> Greg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts