Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Winter Driving a 300SE

1467 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bdonkersgoed
Hey Everyone,

Could you guys tell me what it is like to drive the 300SE in the winter? I am always a little bit worried about rear-wheel drive cars in the winter . . .

I live up in Canada, and our winters can get pretty nasty up here!

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
install good winter tires for snow. no car handles well on slippery surfaces. i live in ch...

install good winter tires for snow. no car handles well on slippery surfaces. i live in chicago and it gets "very" messy. I just un-installed my AMG wheels with all season tires and put the original ones back on for the next 8 months. reason being that snow and salt can mess up the paint of the car plus the finish of the wheels.

while driving on slippery conditions (rain or snow), turn off ure traction control. the "!" thing.

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the 300SE ever fishtail or anything because it is a rear-wheel drive?

My Mom is ki...

Does the 300SE ever fishtail or anything because it is a rear-wheel drive?

My Mom is kind of scared of winter driving, and she is used to a front-wheel drive car . . . will the rear-wheel drive of the Benz make her feel unsafe?

Also, are you just using All Seasons (and not actual winter tires)?

Thanks!

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
re:

Most performance cars are rear wheel drive. Cadilliac and some other american made cars are i think front wheelers.

This car does not fishtail like a buick. Keeping in mind the weight and length, it does looses control in certain slipery conditions.

Iam using my original tires that came with the car: Michelin MXV4 all seasons for 8 months of winter in midwest. In summer i used Continental ContiExtreme all seasons with ZR rating.

For best winter performace, a Volvo Cross Country or a Saab could be a good choice.

///S320

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re:

This car does not fishtail like a buick. Keeping in mind the weight and length, it does looses control in certain slipery conditions.

Iam using my original tires that came with the car: Michelin MXV4 all seasons for 8 months of winter in midwest. In summer i used Continental ContiExtreme all seasons with ZR rating.
I am using the Continental ContiExtremeContacts right now in our harsh Canadian winter, and they seem to work great. In order to get the car to slip, you have to press on the throttle pretty hard . . .

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
1996 S500 coupe
810 Posts
put on 4 new blizacks on the stock rims, drove in the snow we had this morning, while everyone was ending up in the ditch i was driving away listening to Tchaikovsky's symphoney #4 and it didn't even feel like winter, trac light would kick in at the slightest hint of car losing traction and correct the mishap about to happen

i love this car [:D]

don't know about the all seasons you have but a set of new blizzacks will run you $745 (tax in) at Nantucket tire (ask for Lou), best investment in my opinion... if you hit a curb, suspension work will be 3 times that,.. and god forbid if you get into another accident...

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snik - 12/14/2003 8:03 PM

put on 4 new blizacks on the stock rims, drove in the snow we had this morning, while everyone was ending up in the ditch i was driving away listening to Tchaikovsky's symphoney #4 and it didn't even feel like winter, trac light would kick in at the slightest hint of car losing traction and correct the mishap about to happen

i love this car [:D]

don't know about the all seasons you have but a set of new blizzacks will run you $745 (tax in) at Nantucket tire (ask for Lou), best investment in my opinion... if you hit a curb, suspension work will be 3 times that,.. and god forbid if you get into another accident...
I have Blizzaks on my ES300 (my car). They have got to be the BEST winter tires ever. Even when trying, it is hard to get my car to slide.

The Benz is my Dad's car, and we just bought the Continentals. They are still brand new, so they should be good at least for this winter season.

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
1996 S500 coupe
810 Posts
this is funny, i had an es300 as well... traded it for the benz,.. it was a 99.. i so would have liked it if my benz had the climate control and stereo layout of the es300... also the seats were way more comfortable, and how i miss that beautiful gas milage i used to get with the es300.. but oh well.. i still love my benz [:)]

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snik - 12/14/2003 10:18 PM

this is funny, i had an es300 as well... traded it for the benz,.. it was a 99.. i so would have liked it if my benz had the climate control and stereo layout of the es300... also the seats were way more comfortable, and how i miss that beautiful gas milage i used to get with the es300.. but oh well.. i still love my benz [:)]
My ES300 is just a '92. Just some cheap transportation for a student [:)] It's a manual transmission, which I prefer (as long as I not in stop-and-go traffic).

The Benz is BY FAR a much nicer car. The seats in the Benz are way better than the ones in my ES300, but my ES300 seats have seen a lot more wear (200000 kms versus 40000 kms)

We are still in the process of trying to figure out the mileage on the Benz. With my ES300, I get a consistant 10.3 km/L, which I think is pretty good.

Regards,
Bryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.