Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the new question but this is the first diesel that i've ever owned and i just had a question about what people do with their 190d's in the winter time? mine is a dd and i will drive it thru the winter until the snow (if we ever get any) comes and i would have to switch to my 4x4. my question is, i know that diesel trucks in the winter time have to be plugged in for some reason? am i going to have to do the same with my 85 190d? once again sorry for the newb question and i did try and do a search and really didn't come across anything. any info would be greatful and thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
I had to plug mine in sometimes. It depends how old your injectors and glowplugs are probably. You could always add in diesel anti-gel treatment to be sure. STP, Lucas, Stabilize, Napa, etc make them

·
Registered
w115-240D, w115-300D, w201-190e (3), w123-300D w201-190d
352 Posts
It depends on how cold it gets where you are.

We have had just a few inches of snow for a couple of weeks and both my diesel cars start just fine .

If the engine is getting worn out and has low compression , it will be hard to start.

There is a factory block heater option available , but really only necessary if your car is below zero for extended periods.

Remember that the battery condition is also stressed in the cold , so battery age is also a factor to consider.

It is normal here for the fuel supplier to "winterize" the diesel. I would expect that to be true where you are also , especially if you get a few cold weeks in winter.

It goes back to how cold is it going to get?

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it normally gets maybe at most a couple of degrees below zero but that is pretty extreme for where i'm located in the midwest. so, i should probably just be good buy treating the gas then with stp or lucas? i plan on making room in my garage so i will be able to park the car in the winter time at least. well that's the plan, if the wife lets me thats another story. thanks for all the info guys. really puts my mind at ease. :bowdown:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
Most, if not all fuel companies will use winter fuel during the colder months.

It helps the car start a little easier during the cold.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Get your car's pre-glow (glow plugs, relay, etc), starting & ignition system (starter, battery, etc) up to spec for the winter months. Fuel system should also be in good order. Throw in a set of fresh fuel filters and make sure your charging system is also good, as is compression.

Change to thinner oil (5W-40 synthetic diesel-rated oil works great) to facilitate easier starting.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Having a block heater really helps, and it's only like $40 to do if it doesn't have one already.
It will get better MPG's and start easier after being plugged in.

Using Diesel Kleen helps too, they have anti-gel additives in it.

For snow, having a few sand bags in the trunk will help greatly with traction.

If you live in a colder area, most gas stations use winter diesel. Works better in the cold, but you get worse MPG's.

If it's an especially cold day, letting the glow plugs cycle a few times will also help with starting.

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this is probably a stupid question, but how do I find out if I have a black heater? Where would it be located at? and if i were to plug the car in during the winter months, how Do I go about doing that? thanks again for all of the info.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
The block heater would be plugged in to the passenger side of the engine block, and the other end of the plug should be located beneath the tow hook cover.

All you need to do is leave it plugged in for a few hours and it will be good to go.

You can see mine plugged into an extension cord here.

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess i will have to put a block heater on the to get list before winter rolls around. does anyone know if any napa or parts store would carry them, or will i have to go to the dealership or online to find one?

·
Registered
1984, 201.122, OM601.921, G717.410
504 Posts
The block heater is already built in. All you need to do is add a connector.

Additionally, if you have the 2.2L engine, the stock battery is small, and the battery compartment allows a MUCH larger battery. Install a Group 49 / DIN H8 battery (e.g., Wal Mart), and heat up those glow plugs for a good 10-15 seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts