Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280GE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck was recently at a body-shop getting a fender rebuilt with fiberglass. The guys at the shop however, when removing the windshield, lost control of it and it shattered. It seems that the glass had debonded on both sides from the plastic saftey sheet that is inbetween and so when the windhsield was removed it basically fell apart.

Anyway, Supposedly the body shop ordered a new one (for a w460 from 1985) and installed it. But I am not sure if it is an original part. It was meant to be original, but the sticker with G. Diamler on it that is supposed to authenitcate it is not put on properly and there is no other proof it is original. However, the etching has SGC on it, which I presume is for Saint Gobain, the glass mark of Mercedes.

Does anyone know how best to authenitcate the part, I want to be sure I wasn't ripped off.

Thanks

Yar

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
831 Posts
The windshields I have ordered from MBZ have not come with the white Daimler signature label. I have purchased it seperately.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
The script in the corner of my screen purchased from MB this year reads

E2 ( Euro designation)
Sigla (Manufacturer)
43R 001172 (Part number)
DOT 682AS!M1115S (Another safty certificate)

This is stock available in the UK but presume that it is origional part so will be universal to all countries.

Its worth noting that the replacement screen was different in construction in that the origional screen was a thick and a thin sheet with lamination whereas the new one is of uniform thickness so could be placed in either way round.

To remove screens that arnt cracked a strong cord or wire placed under the internal rubber lip and pulled tight is the only way to lift the rubber sufficiently to alow the screen to be taken out, even then pressure is needed to force the screen (bending) forwards. Plenty of tyre soap does help.

DAVE

·
Registered
GE 280 1979
25 Posts
He guys, does anyone have a productiondrawing with all the sizes and measurements for the windshield?

I work at a window production company and I'm thinking about ordering a hardend sheet off glass to put in my G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts