Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes Benz 300CD Turbo
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just recently replaced some FRONT windshield wiper blades on a 1985 300CD with 20" wipers and the wipers actually hit the bottom frame while wiping.:( I thought 20" was the right size for this car, everything states that I got the right size, but now I'm thinking that 19" are a better fit?

Can't see where you can adjust the wiper arms either, or if that would even make any difference.

Any HELP?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hey all, I just recently replaced some FRONT windshield wiper blades on a 1985 300CD with 20" wipers and the wipers actually hit the bottom frame while wiping.:( I thought 20" was the right size for this car, everything states that I got the right size, but now I'm thinking that 19" are a better fit?

Can't see where you can adjust the wiper arms either, or if that would even make any difference.

Any HELP?

Thanks
If it is just the bottom frame that is causing trouble, you need to lift up on the wiper ARM, then pop open the wiper arm cover and adjust the arm accordingly.

The 20" blade should not hit any part along its sweep. Do not adjust the wiper arm too high or else it might hit the A pillar frame/chrome trim. Mine is just right and it barely touches the bottom trim. Never had to adjust. Same with the right side.

If adjusting does not solve the problem, maybe the linkages under the sheet metal need to be looked at to ensure they are tight and not flopping around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the right side of the wiper actually crosses over the bottom of the windshield frame when at full wipe position, about 1" on the passengers side and about 1/2" on the drivers side.

Looks like there is a thin plastic cover over the bottom of the wiper arm at its base. Is this where I would adjust the wiper arm? Somehow removing the thin plastic cover and adjusting the wiper arm down closer to the hood?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely 19" for passengers side and 20" for drivers side. No way the 20" wiper would ever work for the passengers side, no matter what you adjust.

Just wanted to clear this up...

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
I use 20" wipers on both sides.

You can adjust the wipers by lifting the cover at the bottom of the wiper arm, take of the nut, wriggle the arm off the splined axle, adjust the arm and tighten down the nut.

Check the wipers at full speed, sometimes the wiper will hit the window frame only at full speed.

I tried wiper blade with little spoilers, but the spoiler hit the bottom window frame.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
I actually prefer no more than 17", but that's just me. Less hopping, skipping and jumping that way...

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
I always used a pair of 19" blades on my w123

1 - 8 of 8 Posts