Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to this forum but super excited to start participating. I am 26 and have a 1972 350 SL that I have owned with my dad since I was 16, so it has been in the family for ten years. This year I finally became sole owner of the car. I have recently decided to completely restore the car since I am single and have nothing else to throw money away on:)

There are only a couple of things keeping me from getting it registered this year and one of them is the wiper motor. The local Mercedes shop diagnosed it as bad and needing replaced. They wanted $500 to do the job. I found a used motor on ebay for $39 and snagged it up. Now here is the question...

How hard is this to replace? I am rather handy but by no means am I a mechanic. Can I do this myself. The thought of removing the instrument cluster and going to town seems a bit difficult.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
How hard is this to replace? I am rather handy but by no means am I a mechanic. Can I do this myself. The thought of removing the instrument cluster and going to town seems a bit difficult.
Removing the instrument cluster is a breeze. If you can undo a nut and pull, you're ready to take out the cluster. If the issue is the motor, that isn't much harder. You'll be staring it at as soon as you get the cluster out. If it's the transmission (and these do get rusty/corroded and have to be replaced) then leave the cluster out and hang a little sign over the opening that says "All hope abandon, ye who enter here". Cry a little. Then put the cluster back in and drive it to the mechanic and learn to enjoy the taste of Top Ramen noodles. If you spice them up with some chopped green onions and white pepper, they aren't that bad.

Where in Salt Lake? I used to live over by 9th & 9th, about a billion years ago. Is Cahoots still there? Is Mulboons? Is that weird little French restaurant still on 6th South, and do they still have that stuffed swordfish hanging on the wall?

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I feel invigorated and ready to do this. The mechanic said that the transmission looked ok.

I live in Millcreek on the east bench now. I just moved from the area on 9th and 9th you were describing. You have to come back and visit. They have really spruced up that area and turned it into a nice mom and pop shopping area.

Cahoots is still there.

Mulboons too.

Not sure on the Frenchies:)

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
You have to come back and visit. They have really spruced up that area and turned it into a nice mom and pop shopping area.
Nah, if they've spruced it up it'd spoil all my memories of it to go back and visit. Cahoots used to be downright disreputable. They had a naughty adult section where you could get cards with nekkid people on them. Scandalous! They even sold coffee, right out in the open where people could see. Nice people wouldn't have gone to Cahoots. To see it gentrified would break my heart, so I'll just stick with memories. You ought to try that French restaurant if it's still there. The decor was straight out of someone's twisted imagination - I didn't mention the stuffed bunny in the swordfish's mouth - but they had pretty good food.

You do have to pull the steering wheel, but that's where the nut comes in. Pry out the emblem from the center of the steering wheel, remove the nut you'll find and the steering wheel pulls off the spline. It's a good idea to mark both the spline and the wheel so you can get it back on straight. Once you've got the wheel off, the cluster just pulls out. Remove the wires & hoses from the back of that and you can set it aside and you're staring at the wiper motor.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,177 Posts
Removing the instrument cluster is a breeze. If you can undo a nut and pull, you're ready to take out the cluster. If the issue is the motor, that isn't much harder. You'll be staring it at as soon as you get the cluster out. If it's the transmission (and these do get rusty/corroded and have to be replaced) then leave the cluster out and hang a little sign over the opening that says "All hope abandon, ye who enter here". Cry a little. Then put the cluster back in and drive it to the mechanic and learn to enjoy the taste of Top Ramen noodles. If you spice them up with some chopped green onions and white pepper, they aren't that bad.
Motor requires removal of the instrument cluster. Windshield Wiper Transmission requires removal of dash. Transmission costs $800.00 new or $50.00 on E-bay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts