Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you Benz guru's tell me where I might find documentation on replacing my front windshield wiper motor? I am not very mechanically inclined...do you think I could be in over my head?

Your time is much appreciated!

·
Registered
'00 ML55 AMG
370 Posts
If you need the part I am parting out my 2000 ml55 amg and still have this part. I could tell you that it isn't too hard just pulling things apart...but remember I am parting it out and just pull off random parts.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,935 Posts
OP, please update your profile in USER CP to ;include the year and model of your truck.

Before we provide instructions on how to remove and install the motor, could you tell us what the problem is. Maybe it isn't the motor at all.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
43sqd,

Sorry about that...maybe I should change my screen name to "rookie".
I have updated my USER CP as suggested...it now reflects '99 ML430.

I took my car to the Orange Park Mercedes dealership for a recall [lower power steering hose and clamp at radiator fitting replaced]. Before I went to pick it up the following day, they had called me and told me that I needed a new power stearing pump & that my windshield wipers somehow went into the upright position while parked in their garage overnight (I had never had one problem with them up to that point). They said they would diagnose the problem for $120...and they came back and said they diagnosed the problem as being a weak motor and recommended replacing it. I told them not to do anything and that I would fix it myself. I hope I didn't bite off more than I could chew.

Thanks a bunch for your time!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,935 Posts
OP, I trust you realize that you are being taken for a ride on both issues: the P/S pump and now the wiper motor.

When you get the truck back, check fuse #6.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Say it aint so 43sqd!!!!

As I stated earlier, I am not very mechanically inclined, in fact I am totally at the mechanics mercy because (unfortunately) I dont know JACK about cars.

My car was making a fairly loud noise [almost a roaring / winding noise] and is more noticeable at lower speeds (under 35 mph)...could this have possibly been related to the power steering / pump?

P.S. I cant wait to check out fuse #6 when I get home tonight!

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked fuses #6 & #7 and they were both okay. I tried to turn the wipers on and could hear the motor humming, but the wipers would not move.

Looks like I need to find a wiper motor and try replacing it myself. If anyone could provide me with some installation instructions...I would be indebted.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,935 Posts
If you hear the wiper motor running, it is very doubtful that you need a motor. One of two things has happened, the motor has become disconnected from the wiper linkage, or the dealer loosened the nuts on both wiper arms. With the key out of the ignition, go the the wiper arm and try to manually move it in a west to north position.

If both arms move at the same time the linkage is disconnected.

If one arm moves, then go to the other arm and do the same. If they only move individually, then the dealer sabotaged it in an attempt to empty your pockets.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr. 43...

When I tried to manually move the wipers...both arms moved. How hard is it to re-connect the linkage? Where do I start.

Thank you again for your help!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,935 Posts
What you have to do is first remove the wiper arms. Removing them should be done with a wiper arm removal tool. OTC makes a tool #4676. Take off the decorative cap, then remove the nut. Place the arm in the upright postion, then insert the tool under the wiper arm then screw down onto the shaft where the nut was remove from and the arm will pop off.

Then remove the grille which will expose the wiper motor and the wiper linkage. It will be evident what is disconnected or broken. Mark everything before you take it apart so replacement will be easier. Install wiper arms in the flat position.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
If you hear the wiper motor running, it is very doubtful that you need a motor. One of two things has happened, the motor has become disconnected from the wiper linkage, or the dealer loosened the nuts on both wiper arms. With the key out of the ignition, go the the wiper arm and try to manually move it in a west to north position.

If both arms move at the same time the linkage is disconnected.

If one arm moves, then go to the other arm and do the same. If they only move individually, then the dealer sabotaged it in an attempt to empty your pockets.
43sqd, you're pure genius!

·
Registered
1999 ML430
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
43....You are the bomb!

But I dont mind telling you, I am a little nervous about this operation. I will keep everyone posted on my progress!

My sincere thanks...

·
Registered
ML 320 2002
29 Posts
The P/S is a very different problem. If you heard whining noises while the motor was running and they changed pitch when you turn the wheel that means at least that the P/S fluid was low. Running the truck with the fluid low will ruin the pump very quickly.
I had to replace all my P/S components last year. Now I am about to replace my windshield wiper motor. I got both parts cheap and refurbished from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto
I am not affiliated with them en any way. I just must tell about their super service. The wiper motor I got delivered to my home in Iceland 4 days after I ordered. Total cost was US$ 101 with shipping overseas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts