Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a tough one....the driver side windshield wiper blade chatters and squeaks when operated. The blade is not very old and I was wondering if there is a spring tension adjustment for the blade arm. Maybe it is a pressure issue, it does not perform that way on the passenger side and the blades are the same age.
Any thoughts...thanks.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
The wiper arms can be adjusted, this may help a bit for the chatter. Are the blades OEM or some good brand? It should not be about the pressure but the angle of operation.

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blades are OEM. I bought them at the MB dealer. When the blade operates during its sweeping motion should the blade edge be facing the direction of the sweep or opposite. It looks like the blade at the point of transition on direction change chatters due to the blade not flipping over to drag the blade across the windshield. This is getting to complicated for a wiper blade.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Sounds like there is too much tension on the arm... the blade should flip over quietly at the beginning of each sweep, much like a whisk broom.

Does the refill slide easily in the guides? If not, adjust it.

Clean the windshield with a good glass cleaner too. Make sure the glass is not scratched or "burnished" by old hard wiper blades; if so, you will have to have the glass repolished.

Clean the blade with a good soap solution.

If all fails, BUY a new arm with wiper/blade assembly. :surrender:

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Are you using alcohol based solvent (you know the cheap blue stuff for $.99) If you are purge it and use the factory stuff!

Aftermarket solvents will damage the rubber and cause the chatter you are getting.

Use only the MB additive and distilled water (prevents water spotting).

Also the MB solvent will not damage the rubber that the wipers are made of. The OEM solvent will permit the blades to last far longer than you would ever imagine.

By the way, my 06 still has it's original blades and they work as well today as when new...

DB

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The blades are OEM and does not have glides to slide in, it is a single curved blade held in the center. To drivbiwire are you talking about the windshield wiper fluid when you say solvents. I have been known to use a less than expensive fluid, I will check this. Does MB sell windshield washer fluid?

To the spring tension, how do I adjust this?
Thanks

·
Registered
805+494 211.026
34 Posts
The blades are OEM and does not have glides to slide in, it is a single curved blade held in the center. To drivbiwire are you talking about the windshield wiper fluid when you say solvents. I have been known to use a less than expensive fluid, I will check this. Does MB sell windshield washer fluid?

Thanks
They sell a small bottle of solution that you mix with water and add to your tank. I think they have a summer version and a winter version.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts

Thanks
Spring tension isn't the issue.

It sounds like there is excessive friction between the glass and the rubber. This "can" be the result of decomposition of the rubber of the blade at the point of contact with the window. This increased friction will cause the blade to slow down building up force that slingshot the blade forward (aka skipping).

The last thing you want to do is increase the force being applied to the blade.

A blade that is in good condition will have uniform resistance to the motion of the arm. The blade will wipe accross the surface without that momentary slow down causing the chatter.

This issue stems from using poor quality washer solvents (they are solvents, since they disperse oils and other contaminants using alcohols as the primary cleaning agent, read "cheap"). Poor quality solvents damage the plasticity and frictional characteritsics of the wipers contact surfaces. The increased friction from the damaged contact surfaces causes the blade to no longer make uniform contact with the window surface thus you suffer from poor visibility, chatter and other issues related to poor blade performance.

Yes, Mercedes does sell a specific fluid but the chemical is more like a dispersant (similar to a non foaming soap) rather than an alcohol based solvent. the winter formula has other additives that prevent freezing of the washer fluid (yes a bit more expensive than the summer fluid). These formulas are intended for your car and will not damage the blades OR the rubber mouldings around the windows. The fluid costs a bit more than the off the shelf fluids but it will GREATLY extend the life of your VERY expenisive wiper blades.

DB

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
:thumbsup: To Recap ===> Siphon out the cheap blue washer fluid, premix the vial of Mercedes window wash and distill water in a gallon jug and refill the washer fluid reservoir. Clean the windshield with Cornstarch and plenty of water to get off the old wiper rubber/debris. Change to new Mercedes wiper blades. Turn on the window washer for a minute to expell the old fluid from the lines/nozzles.

Let us know if the chatter is gone! :)

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to add to the chemical analysis of the wiper issue, when I wash my car I use Turtle wax Car wax wash. I was thinking that the residue from that may be the problem. I do not use my washer fluid that often, but I will pick up some new blades and washer solution at MB and report back my results.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
OK... but the blade chatter is telling you that there is some sticky residue on the windshield so you will need to Cornstarch the entire windshield and wash off with a garden hose all the residue.

Please post your results here so we can close this thread if the problem is solved.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To close the post.....I cleaned the windshield and applied a rubber preservative on the blades and no squeak ...no sweat...
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
:thumbsup: GREAT!!! but please tell us exactly how and what you used to clean the windshield... also the name of the rubber preservative you used !!

Maybe this could become the FALL and SPRING RITUAL .... sure beats buying new wiper blades!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
E300
367 Posts
Actually if that doesn't still work, you can get the latest Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades for a really good price and I was told that they're pretty much the best blades in the market. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Yes, that was the other question! The rubber preservative may only be a temporary fix... how long? ... maybe he can report back later and tell us.

But maybe the Mercedes washer solution will keep it lubricated and it will last through the Winter season?

And if it doesn't, then buy the new blade you mentioned.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
230.6 W114(1974); 230E W124(1988); 420SEC W126(1988); C280 W202(1994); SL320 R129(1996)
11 Posts
Sounds like the problem is solved. I shall also try my problematic blades as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 E500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To all, I applied Armor All Tire Gel to the wiperblades and they have performed flawlessly. Clean without any residue on the windshield and no chatter. I live in Kentucky and there has been quite a bit of rain lately...so no issues with the blades since I applied the gel a week ago.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts