Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to Remove the Complete Wiper Mechanism / Assembly ,Wipers , Motors & arms ,the Whole Lot . Sounds Complicated ? , Not so much after you seen this .To remove this it takes about 15-20 minutes max going slow .
I even took these few pictures & still took me only 20 minutes or so ,very easy job ,don't be scared to do it if you have a defect with your Wipers .
Based on my S600 , it could be that your car has different nuts & bolt sizes but they are all in the same location on all W140's .

Tools needed ;
Allen Key Size 5
Sockets 10 & 15
Phillips Head Screwdriver
Flat Head Scewdriver
Thick Fender Covering to prevent scratching ,check your Pants belt .
Patience .

Thanks to Joe Trojan , I had the opportunity to install this today since he had a spare wiper assembly for me ,mine had a nut defective on the Pass side which made it noisy when wiping .
Thanks Joe , I run you over on next drive , no worries .:thumbsup:

Some pictures are not in order & should be earlier or later like activating the wiper to the center position ,do that before undoing the center big nut then move it to its resting position,you learn as you get there .
Don't forget to add a rag onto the drivers side wiper arm unless you take it off before hand to prevent scratches to the screen ,those are under a lot of pressure but it comes of easy with the center nut removed since the pressure is not there anymore or take it off with the whole arm minus the blade ,up to you .
How to move the wiper to the upper middle of the screen & stay there ?
Ignition on (2) wiper and when the wiper is in the middle , quickly turn the ignition off ,pull the key out then leave it back in ,ready for next time .

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continue from above :

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Continue from above .
Bottom Pictures that are not marked are not being used ,view them as a reference point :

Attachments

·
W140 Moderator
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Look underneath the Wiper assembly ,where the telescoping arm is & it's Linkages ,you see dried grease , that grease is very useful to ad on top of the fans blower ,just a finger tip is enough ,squezze it into that pin then rotate the fan , now that squeeking haunted door noise is gone .
While you in that area ,check the Filter if it needs replacing , mine needed replacing but I didn't have one today .:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
97 s420.
130 Posts
Holy crap! These cars are detailed. So to replace my windshield, I have to do this or, which I can't even begin to accept, allow a Safelite tech handle? The best part? 20 minutes....

I have to replace my windshield so I was going to dig into this but actually am more intimidated after seeing your write up. You got me a little scared I'll leave something out but WTH,guys like you are a great resource.

This is a great write up effort.

Chris

·
W140 Moderator
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Chris , I'm Chris as well .
Doing this is pretty dam easy & straight forward ,you couldn't make a mistake if you wanted to ,lol.
To remove the Windscreen you probably wont need to remove the whole Wiper assembly like I show here or did , what you need to remove is the black plastics around the windscreen ,there are around 8 phillips head screws to it . Lift the firewall cover up in front of the windscreen wipers, the S500 picture below shows it more clearer .
If you have a Phillips head screw driver ,don't hesitate to do it ,that's basically the only tool you need , btw ,inside the trunk there is a screwdriver just like it on top of the spare tyre tools set,flat head & cross .
If you call someone to do it for you ,they gonna charge you an arm & a leg plus ears as interest to do this for you , do they even know more then what you already know ? ,seeing the pictures above ,ask yourself that question as well .
What I would do ,remove all the parts that obstruct the windscreen from being taken out , then call the windscreen company to install a new one , I paid $150 to replace my screen in a Nissan Patrol 4x4 .:thumbsup:

Your thread >>>: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2457313-how-do-i-remove-w140s-windscreen.html

You don't need to take the airhose marked with yellow arrow of , just keep an eye on the sensor wiring underneath on the opposite site when you flip that cover over towards the airfilter .

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts