Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
Discussion Starter #1
I have found instructions on how to remove the 7.6 liter reservoir, but I need the instructions
on how to remove the smaller original reservoir. Also what was the fluid capacity of the original
reservoir ? 5.0 liters ?

Thanks

C N B

W163 and General Mercedes Host
I have found instructions on how to remove the 7.6 liter reservoir, but I need the instructions
on how to remove the smaller original reservoir. Also what was the fluid capacity of the original
reservoir ? 5.0 liters ?

Thanks

C N B
On an 01 ML430, after removing the bolts, there are two rubber grommets on the bottom of reservoir.
You have to pull up on reservoir in order to lift it out of grommets.
I presume this is you dilemma?

Premium Member
1999 ML430
I believe it was about five liters. It had plenty of capacity and why MB thought it needed enlarging is beyond me.
The new reservoir is a PITA to install. Take your time ,try not to force anything and loosen up all hardware that is in the vicinity. If I remember correctly, I loosened up the fuse box to give you just a little more wiggle room.

Don't forget about the grommets that fit in the reservoir. That's what prevents leaking once the pumps are installed.
I would certainly think the new reservoirs would come with the grommets already.

Make sure to have a trashcan handy when you remove the old reservoir. Empty it as much as possible before removing by either siphoning or you could pull out one of the pumps to allow fluid to empty. Be careful that fluid does not get close to ABS components to the left of reservoir.

Your timing is good. If that is the original, it has had a loooong life. That plastic pretty much disintegrates after ten years or so due to heat and flexing. Don't worry about cracking the old one.

Since you have it removed, good opportunity to clean around the exposed areas and check for any loose or frayed wiring. Any tubing is liable to be brittle and possibly needing replacement.Before reinstalling new unit, lubricate the mounting points with some silicone grease or similar product.

Goes without saying make sure the ML is cool, and if you can complete the project without drawing blood you are to be commended. Plenty of good washer fluids on the market that will do a good job on the windshield. Also an excellent time to replace your wiper blades. I've been using the newer silicone PIAA blades and they work very well with no chattering.... good luck with the project. Supply of cold liquid refreshment is mandatory !!

Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
Discussion Starter #5
I have the instructions on removing and installing the NEW 1.6 liter reservoir

What I need is the instructions on removing the OLD 5.0 liter reservoir

My parts car has a almost new reservoir and I want to remove it and install it in my
2000 ML

Do you half to remove the headlights and the the radiator cross member / support
and loosen the fuse box to get the OLD 5.0 liter reservoir out ?

Thanks
C N B

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I got the 5.0 liter reservoir out and it was a heck of a lot easier than the new 7.6 liter version !!

W163 and General Mercedes Host
Again, here is a good video from member demoder explaining the 7.6L behemoth version removal.

Premium Member
1999 ML430
Removing the driver side headlight, since it is so easy, is a good idea. Your looking for as much room as possible. and yes, loosening the two top bolts on the cross member will give you some additional play with putting in the new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts