Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
I had a similar problem last winter. It turned out there was what appeared to be some sort of plastic film lodged inside the nozzles. The only thing I can think of is someone (PO) wasn't careful with the windshield washer fluid and probably dropped stuff from it's cover into the tank. Then it probably went through the pump and got lodged in the nozzles. If this is your problem it was a pain in the ass to fix. I removed the nozzels and took a clothes pin as well as very small gauge wire (like telephone wire) to pick it all out. It was all jammed in there real good. Once I cleaned them they worked for a day or two and got plugged again. Repeated the process for the next couple of weeks till all the plastic was finally out of the system. Find the problem now before winter hits cause it sucks to fix it in the winter, I know ;)

·
Registered
2010 GL450 4Matic
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar problem last winter. It turned out there was what appeared to be some sort of plastic film lodged inside the nozzles. The only thing I can think of is someone (PO) wasn't careful with the windshield washer fluid and probably dropped stuff from it's cover into the tank. Then it probably went through the pump and got lodged in the nozzles. If this is your problem it was a pain in the ass to fix. I removed the nozzels and took a clothes pin as well as very small gauge wire (like telephone wire) to pick it all out. It was all jammed in there real good. Once I cleaned them they worked for a day or two and got plugged again. Repeated the process for the next couple of weeks till all the plastic was finally out of the system. Find the problem now before winter hits cause it sucks to fix it in the winter, I know ;)
Haha damn it. I was hoping for an easy fix and not a pain in the ass fix lol. How did you remove the nozzles?

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
I should mention one thing, is the pump working? If it is than continue on to the nozzles. Disconnect the hoses at the nozzles and make sure there is flow coming out of hoses so that you know 100% it's the nozzles. Once that is confirmed the nozzles just clip out of the hood. When I did it it was -20 to -30 degrees Celcius so I never found a way to unplug the wiring for the nozzle heaters, that is ultimately what made it a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
528 Posts
No turns out the pump is not working! I guess I need to get a new pump :/
Have you checked for power at the pump? Also is it just the windshield pump, or is it also the headlight washer pump?

·
Registered
528 Posts
There should be a plug going to the pump at the tank (can't remember if it's on the bottom or near the top of it). Unplug that and take a DMM (digital multi-meter, aka volt meter) and place the leads in it and have someone operate the washer. It should read 12volts when the washer is being activated. If not, you may have a blown fuse or bad wiring, etc. If you do get 12volts, the pump is most likely bad.

·
Registered
2008 CLK350 Coupe,White/Stone
59 Posts
Refresh this Topic: Windshield Washers Not Working

I took my W209 into the M-B dealer for oil/filter change and when I got it back, the windshield washers did not work. Since the wipers work and since I believe they are on the same fuse, I thought perhaps the mechanic at the dealership had disconnected the power or washer fluid hose. Rather than diagnose myself, I took it back in. The service writer told me she had someone look at it and it is the pump/motor. It only took about 5 minutes to get that diagnosis and she said they did not check for a code. She also said they routinely go bad. (On a M-B??).

She then quoted me $273 parts, labor, and fees to replace it.

I found the part on eBay for $13 and ordered it. The only video I could find on YouTube was for a C-class but it looks very similar to my W209 CLK350 Coupe. I have two questions:

1) Is it possible the dealer caused this failure when they topped off the fluids either accidentally or on purpose to gin up business?

2) Is this replacement something a shade-tree mechanic can change out with excellent tools and good mechanical skills? Near as I can tell from the video, I have to remove the front-left wheel, and the driver side front inner fender skirt and the whole assembly is right there.

Has someone done this? Any advice other than paying the dealer $273 to replace a $13 part? Thanks.

·
Registered
'99 CLK 430, '05 E500 4Matic
502 Posts
@ X....

Have you ever heard of the term "You can pay me now, or pay me later"??
Sometimes we have to just bit it, and keep it moving. Shade tree cats I won't bother.
Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there, I run into a similar problem with my CLK. Visited several garages, spent quiet a chank of money but with no luck. Then one of my friends told me about eAutoFix.com over there I found a mechanic who did fix this issue for me for very dissent price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.