Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the front windshield washer fluid is no longer spraying on my 2002 E320 4Matic wagon. When it was working, the fluid level got so low that spraying eventually sputtered to a stop. I refilled it, but it won't resume spraying. The rear sprayer is working fine. I do hear the front fluid pump trying to work when I push the button, and the wipers do their few wipes afterward.

Could there be air in the lines from when it ran dry? Vapor lock? Is there a way to prime the system to get the fluid moving again? Thanks.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally found that my front washer fluid stopped working because the hose came apart by the fuse box. According to the parts diagram, there's a junction there. Mine was held together by electrical tape which also concealed mangled wires embedded in the hose.

Thanks to Kajtek1 for already answering that those wires are for heating the washer fluid hose. I will try to crimp the wires using waterproof crimps of the appropriate (tiny) gauge. It might be necessary in my cold New Hampshire winters.

I will clean up the hose ends and secure the junction barb with a 12mm stainless hose clamp on either end. I don't know how it was originally held (the parts diagram does show a junction there), so clamps seem safest.

So why did the hose separate? Maybe running out of washer fluid pushed air through the lines and blew them apart.

The parts diagram of the hose shows three other things hanging off it inside the hood. I'm guessing they're a harness and grounds for a second heater wire which warms the nozzles. That must be the wire which is taped to the outside of the hose.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.