Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,074 Posts
IIRC, the stickers appeared initially exclusively on US spec MBs around the mid 70s. I believe it coincided with the intro of the W123 to the US. I know for a fact that my mother's former 300D Euro spec, bought straight from the dealer in February 1977, did NOT have the sticker.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,516 Posts
Ok, we have consensus, it first started in the US in the late 70's early 80's, which explains everything except my '89.
But as I mentioned the car was imported be the dealer as a not so common 2.6 liter manual transmission and put in their showroom with a slightly different red color than what is listed in that year's color code as well. So perhaps it was a European model/make (partially?).

I'll get that sticker and reward the car with a new highlight....
Thanks for all this info....

- Cheers

·
Registered
17,074 Posts
IF that '89 was really imported as a grey market car, then it should have a sticker of compliance located inside the driver door jamb.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,516 Posts
I'll look for it. I'm still trying to sort that out. Would Benz dealers import grey market cars? I did not think so.
It sounds more like it was a unique, one-off build.

·
Registered
17,074 Posts
No, official US MB dealers never imported grey market cars. And by the late 80s, MB USA had lobbied the feds hard enough to slam the door shut on the entire grey market scene. I used to bring them in until the mid 80s.

IF the car is a proper grey market car, it would have a sticker like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,196 Posts
One minor possibility is that us was Euro delivery that somehow ended up at the dealer in the US. But these are a whole lot of suppositions for a missing window sticker that was much more likely removed at some point before you took delivery.

Running the VIN will let you know if it was slated for the US at time of build.

datamb.com

·
Registered
17,074 Posts
A Canadian spec car would look identical to a US spec car except the cluster would be in km/h.

·
W201 Moderator
2,516 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread. Most likely it was a special ordered car with a couple minor changes:

(1) change the color to next year's signal red (and later in the sequence MB decided the cladding looks awful so decided to color match (particularly in 92-93 years). The standard maroon cladding on the new signal red was not going to work. The dealer was willing to work with me on repainting all the cladding, free of charge because they could not sell the car. Did a damn good job too, never peeled after 30 years.

(2) Dealer wanted a one off manual 2.6 but could not sell it for whatever reason including the manual. Or someone special ordered it and backed out, glad they did when they did it.

It is a definite US-CA spec car, nothing else is out of the ordinary, not sure why it never had the signature labeling. And I did not know about that until just now.

Thanks everyone for your help...

- Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious if anyone has ever had any luck removing one of these and reapplying to a new windshield? The one on my old TE looks perfectly intact. I haven't a clue on how those things are put on. I was told they are an extra $10 on top of the new OE glass......they don't just come on there.

When the glass guy replaced my windshield with OE, he tried to remove it and reapply.....looks like a 8yr old's effort.

Kevin
The glass installer is responsible for getting the sticker from the dealership. If it is not certified Mercedes glass, take it back to the installer and make them use Mercedes glass only. Mexican and Chinese glass is junk.

·
Registered
CLK430 Convertible and E500 Wagon
17 Posts
As for the question of whether the sticker is a US thing: I have never seen it in Germany -- or any other European country. Used to live there until 2003 and still regularly visit. So it is most likely something they do for export markets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A windshield installer (I used SafeLite, a chain) can remove/install the stickers. I believe they use a spray solvent that makes the job a breeze. They changed mine while I waited. I had a friend drive the other car.

·
Registered
1993 300SL 24
1 Posts
OK that's weird. As far as I remember the family '75 W115 did not have it (I'll start searching the 45 year old photo's now)
I'm pretty sure my '89 did not have it when I bought it new either. I'll start searching for photo's there too.

Could be a US thing. The W115 was from France, the '89 was US but the dealer special ordered it for the manual transmission, so there are a couple other odd things about it (like the paint color does not match the color code for the year, it was introduced the year later in '90.

If my '89 is supposed to have it, I'll have to search for that label too. We'll correct that problem 30 years later :)-)) Space is now taken up by the MBCA srticker unfortunately.
My '88 300E had it.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350, 1987 420SEL, 1985 300D, 1983 240D 4sp, 1979 300TD my 1st.
4 Posts
My 1979 300TD that I purchased in 1995 has the sticker. It has also turned the rust brown color. I have many repair receipts and no prior windscreen replacement noted. This was originally a MBNA company vehicle in New Jersey so who knows if it is original.
I had found the OEM stickers before and should have got one, seems around ten dollars.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The glass installer is responsible for getting the sticker from the dealership. If it is not certified Mercedes glass, take it back to the installer and make them use Mercedes glass only. Mexican and Chinese glass is junk.
It is OE glass....I made sure of that. The sticker is more money and it's clear, which is not what the original looked like (see post #5). I'd rather have the original look than the newer style. If you don't ask the installer, you don't get the sticker.

Anything other than an OE glass does not have the right curvature for the mono wiper.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A windshield installer (I used SafeLite, a chain) can remove/install the stickers. I believe they use a spray solvent that makes the job a breeze. They changed mine while I waited. I had a friend drive the other car.
Except that Safelite is why I was in this situation in the first place. They came to fix a tiny chip and left with a two ft crack clear across my windshield. Would not split the cost of a new windshield or pay even a penny towards the install. Said I signed a waiver against them damaging my windshield.

You should be careful who you recommend. The exact same scenario happened to my neighbor with Safelite while she was vacationing.....sold her a new windshield after they cracked her old one. AllState is in bed with Safelite too, so don't go to them for recommendations.

Kevin

21 - 39 of 39 Posts