Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I posted my experience from 4/22 of catching a stone right in front of my right eye. Now with just over 11,000 miles on it, I am having the windshield replaced. I just had it confirmed for tomorrow, 5/4/05 at 3 p.m. PDT. I made sure it will be the right Mercedes part. If anyone is interested, I will watch closely and post on the process thereafter. WISH ME LUCK...[:0][:0][:0]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get out the digital camera, but you will have to settle for stills...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ease and convenience, I guess...and less memory needed to share...I guess my modern side is the Quicktime movies at:

http://home.comcast.net/~motzko/Steves_SLK_Page.html

...[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Windshield Replacement Today!!!

Looks like the windshield replacement will have to wait. the glass guy showed and has not done a R171 yet and had some questiones about how things are done. rather than risk breaking anything, he opted to do more research and headed off to the dealer for drawings and/or information (since the windshield came from them).

I am glad he is going cautiously ...hold it...just in...they called and are not comfortable with it and have punted it off to the dealer...now I need to go through my dealer...[V]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARGHHHHH!!!!!

Now the insurance company doesn't want to pay near the $560 labor charge the stealer quotes...they want to pay max $493.10 less my $100 deductable for both labor AND windshield...[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

I knew this was looking too easy...[xx(]

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Motz - I think you've just found out why you pay insurance - not to cover you in the unfortunate event of anything going wrong, but to make insurance companies wealthy[:(!][:(!] - same in the UK.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woolly:

I now have them working it out directly with the dealer...my expectation is the $100 deductable and no more...especially since their discount glass people don't want to mess with the car...[:(!]

It's kinda silly, but I think I would have felt even worse if I had spent a lot of money on a clear bra, just to have the windshield issue..[xx(]

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
My windshield cracked right below the white label sticker. It was a small but deep crack. I was quoted $800(!) to replace it because apparently it had some sensor in it and was new so not everybody knew how to service it. I had it sealed for $35 instead and it's barely noticeable now. It looks like a small water spot and shouldn't crack any further.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
greendestiny - 5/4/2005 12:08 AM

My windshield cracked right below the white label sticker. It was a small but deep crack. I was quoted $800(!) to replace it because apparently it had some sensor in it and was new so not everybody knew how to service it. I had it sealed for $35 instead and it's barely noticeable now. It looks like a small water spot and shouldn't crack any further.
Unfortunately, my crack is right in front of my right eye...and looks like a spider with 6 crack legs going out the size of a half dollar piece...[V]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Motzkoman - 5/5/2005 7:12 AM

greendestiny - 5/4/2005 12:08 AM

Unfortunately, my crack is right in front of my right eye...and looks like a spider with 6 crack legs going out the size of a half dollar piece...[V]
Well, if you were in LA it could have been made by a bullet[:0] Had our 10th freeway shooting in 6 weeks yesterday[:(]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
malibuite - 5/5/2005 7:30 AM

Well, if you were in LA it could have been made by a bullet[:0] Had our 10th freeway shooting in 6 weeks yesterday[:(]
I think I will stay up here and deal with rocks...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Is that shooting in someone targeting someone in particular or someone just taking pot shots at vehicles travelling on the road?

Neither option too good but the later would be kinda scary.

We dont get that sort of thing here, but do get kids throwing things off bridges at vehicles. My car got hit by a coke can a few years ago, not nice.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Slk-Gill - 5/5/2005 10:15 AM

Is that shooting in someone targeting someone in particular or someone just taking pot shots at vehicles travelling on the road?

Neither option too good but the later would be kinda scary.

We dont get that sort of thing here, but do get kids throwing things off bridges at vehicles. My car got hit by a coke can a few years ago, not nice.
So far they are not really sure of the motive but appears to be random and perhaps gang related like the shootings might be an initiation into a gang. The survivors state that the shooters appear to be young Hispanic men with shaved heads that are not know to the victims.

The shootings have happend at night and in broad daylight on several different freeways and the victims were all ages and races so it does appear to be random. However, an article in the LA Times stated that people were driving more politely and not cutting anybody off, just in case.

Unfortunately, almost everywhere you have to go in LA is reached by freeway[V]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
malibuite - 5/5/2005 3:30 PM

Am I gonna get squished on my motorbike trip?[:0][:0]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 5/5/2005 12:19 PM

malibuite - 5/5/2005 3:30 PM

Am I gonna get squished on my motorbike trip?[:0][:0]
Well, they haven't shot anyone on a motorbike yet and you said you were going to be taking backroads to Vegas. You just need to be careful out here. I know everyplace has their crazies but SoCal seems to have more than most[8D]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on Windshield Replacement!!!

The latest is that I just heard from the insurance company. They talked with two dealerships, the one I got my Euro delivery through and the one in my local town (where my M Class was bought and had service). The one in my town had the lower price of $1,051.69 installed ($90 less than the other), and they authorized paying that less the deductable of $100; although I have to pay the dealer and submit for reimbursement. I have called the person they spoke to at the dealer to schedule and left a message, but not heard back yet...[^][^][^]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good news and bad news...

the good, I am scheduled at the dealer Monday to get the windshield replaced...[:D][:D][:D]

the bad, I won't be there while they are doing the work to take pictures...[V]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
sorry for what you have to deal with... I've gone through some windshield replacements before in simpler past cars but with all the sensors and crap on the benz and similar cars, it seems technology has turned something as simple as windshield replacement into potential big headaches. So much more things can wrong. Again, good luck.

Anyone know of a reputable place that installs force fields?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts