Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the leaking windshield on my 85 wagon. If I click the on-line sites it seems like they want about $180 to replace the windshield, which seems very low. I have already purchased the MB OEM gasket.

Is there any reason to spend the big bucks for an OEM windshield, or is generic windshield with OEM gasket just as good?

thanks

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I went to Safelite for a replacement windshield. Decided to go that way because I use the car daily and it's surely going to be pitted sooner or later. Went with OEM seal, took 2 weeks to arrive from Germany for $120.

If I'm able to park my car to preserve it, and use some other car for daily driving, THEN I'd go for an MB windshield. But that's just me.

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
I went to Safelite for a replacement windshield.

If I'm able to park my car to preserve it, and use some other car for daily driving, THEN I'd go for an MB windshield. But that's just me.
X2 on both counts. I have a spare Plikington here for if that ever happens. I've had my driver's replaced by Safelite last year. I've already got a chip, and been hit by at least 10 rocks, so no sense going factory til it sits.

·
Registered
1984 300D 375,000 miles 1996 e300d 266,000 miles 1983 300SD 174,000 miles Ascot Grey
453 Posts
so do the windshield guys know what to do with the mercedes gasket? did they give you a funny look when you showed it to them? If you did not have the oem gasket, would they have just reused the old gasket? need a windshield, and trying to get a game plan. thx.

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
The place I called took money off of the final price since I provided the gasket. They wanted $90 for them to provide the gasket, which wasn't unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kind of assuming that the $180 - $220 quotes I got on-line did NOT include replacing the gasket.

Any opinions as to whether or not Safelite vs. other generic is important to request?

Scott

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I'm kind of assuming that the $180 - $220 quotes I got on-line did NOT include replacing the gasket.

Any opinions as to whether or not Safelite vs. other generic is important to request?

Scott
I've used Safelite on my 300D and 190E. Only my W123 needed the new gasket, the 190E uses a glaze which Safelite has.

The aftermarket gasket is (might) be readily available, but if you're in no rush I'd go with OEM.

My gasket failed long before the windshield did. Leaked all over hence my calling Safelite the next day to schedule nearest appointment date to be done at home. The work could have been much cleaner, but for the price and convenience it was okay.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already received the MB gasket. It arrived yesterday. I'm wondering if I want to go to my favorite glass shop (that is happy to deal with older Mercedes like 1971) or if "Safelite" is better than other non-MB glass...

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called my favorite glass shop and ordered the windshield. I asked what brand they use, she told me Pilkington. I asked about Safelite glass and she said that it was inferior. Then I googled Safelite and Pilkington and found lots of complaints about Safelite, and a little bit of complaining about Pilkington. Comments?

·
Registered
1982 300D
118 Posts
Hi Scoot,

Visiting an old post, and wanted to see how your windshield is working out? I was driving on the freeway today, and a rock chipped the windshield. I tried to fix it myself with a repair kit, but I put too much pressure and 1 inch is now a 4 inch crack:mad:

Did you ever price the OEM windshield as well? and where is your favorite glass shop if you don't mind me asking? I'm around the LA area.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
This is something I need to eventually do on my wagon. I encountered about 200 miles of desert sand storm a few years back. You can imagine what my windshield looked like afterwards! Ruined! 10,000 tiny pits!

Some footage of the drive. The noise you hear is from the wind making its way past the old weather stripping in the doors

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo Diesel
216 Posts
IMO... I replaced my front wind shield with a generic one from Safelite. I did order a rubber gasket and all new metal trim directly from MB dealership.

It's been a few years and no issues.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
If I had the foresight to do it better, I would have used a harder glass. The Safelite glass installed is soft and chips easily. Lifetime warranty though.

Then again, if it chips, I don't cringe as much, compared to the same chip on the more expensive glass.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
This is something I need to eventually do on my wagon. I encountered about 200 miles of desert sand storm a few years back. You can imagine what my windshield looked like afterwards! Ruined! 10,000 tiny pits!

Some footage of the drive. The noise you hear is from the wind making its way past the old weather stripping in the doors

1982 Mercedes 300TD sand storm - YouTube
Man, nasty! I would have changed all my filters as soon as I got home. Sand everywhere!

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Guys,
I replaced the glass on my 300CD and SLK. IMO nothing brightens the look of the car like new glass. I bought PPG for the CD and Pilkington for the SLK. Then I bought the $4.00 Benz sticker. Find a good reputable glass guy and have it installed.

Oh, yeah I did buy new glass gaskets and Al trim for the CD from MB.

The PPG CD glass was $275.00. Including, gasket, trim and installation total was around $520.00.

Thanks,
Zill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts