Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300SE,300SD,240D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it is time to replace the windshield on my 300se--now that I have it running good. The windshield is not broken, just very pitted or "sand blasted". When I used the wipers, it sounds like they are going over sand paper. What can I expect to pay to have this done?? Any stories or experiences in this area??

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Get PPG it's the best on the market at this point.

MB uses it as their factory replacement glass, can't get the Sekurit anymore...

Jonathan

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
I had my windshield replaced not more than 45 days ago. The manufacturer is Pilkington and I am extremely pleased. They cater to "classic" cars as well. My cost was $228, glass and labor. It is identical to the OEM, right down to the "black dots" on the base of the shield.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
I had the windshield replaced on my 1990 560 SEC a couple of months ago. Cost me $275 and it looks great.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I recomend PPG after years of experience trying other manufactures glass. As such, I have found that the 'lesser' brands tend to sand blast easier/quicker then PPG or Sekurit.

I also shared a house w/ a fellow who's father owned quite a few auto/home glass repair shops, when I asked him who to go w/ he recomended PPG, no question.

Jonathan

·
Registered
300SE,300SD,240D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the "real figure" amounts!!! I am breathing a bit easier. A MB supplier in the midwest listed them for $495.00 plus shipping and $75.00 for the gasket. Were your installations done at a body shop, national glass chain, dealer, or.........??
Thanks again,

·
Registered
'08 E63 AMG Wagon. C280 (320) track/drift slag. Wife has CLK500 Convertible
1,029 Posts
$75 for the gasket?! Umm, what gasket - it's just a bonded screen. The glue costs $10 from any motor part store.

I can't remember what I paid for a windscreen - about 60 pounds I think from a breaker yard - heat it up carefully with an air gun to soften old glue (or use the electrical windscreen heater apparently built into Mercs - I never did find the terminals), out pops the old one - in goes the new with a bit of goo. About an hour and a half at the most DIY with two people. Re-fit trim and leave it to set overnight.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Awwww no more Sekurit[:(]. I don't know why but I love that glass. I wonder why you can't get it anymore. It was my understanding that mercedes still used Sekurit glass. I remember on the the w140s they used the dual pane sigla plus, but I could have sworn they went back to sekurit.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,289 Posts
I used Diamond Glass, but have no idea whether they're just local (Philadelphia) or part of a chain.

·
Registered
300SE,300SD,240D
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE::
Had the windshield replaced today. $223.91 total,installed. PPG glass, looks great. What a difference---I can see clearly now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
...The haze is gone..'!

Glad to hear it worked out well:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You can still get the Correct sticker from your local Stealer.

Jonathan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts