Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E-350 4matic & 2002 SLK C230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 W211 Need windshield replaced, Dealer? or aftermarket Cost range???
anyone had this done

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
It was done on my car (W210) by the previous owner and they went aftermarket. I have never been satisfied with the way my rain sensing wipers work (too sensitive so wipe more often than necessary). I don't know this for certain, but I have always blamed the windshield. Sensor was replaced and had no effect. If I had to replace this one I would buy the real MB glass and any good place that does this work should be able to install it properly. You can bet a dealer is going to be more expensive labor than you can find elsewhere but they should do the job right.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Not covered by insurance?

I'd have dealer do it, as they for sure know how to deal with rain-sensitive wipers sensor.

Dealer will surely subcontract this, so not so much worry about "expensive dealer labor."

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Since Kent mentioned it the previous owner's dealer subcontacted the windshield job on my car. As far as I know they don't do any of their own collision repair. Try to find a MB certified body shop and if the insurance company cheaps out on the glass, pay the extra for the real deal.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
sometimes the dealers will have a tech that does do windshield repairs, but most times they have local companies come out and do the job. our dealer has 2 main companies they use.

·
Registered
E 550 4 matic 2010
465 Posts
Done this twice. I went with a good local glass company. Told them I want OEM glass right down to replacing the MB decals. One time they even came to my garage and I can stand there and watch. A glass place does so many windshields that I d trust them over the dealer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Two things are very important in a windshield replacement. The windshield is an integral structural component in a crash, especially a roll-over, and correct installation is essential. Second is that dealer approved replacement companies should have been trained about the intricacies of the M-B windshields. It's no guarantee but at least a glass company that works with a dealer is familiar with Mercedes-Benzes.

Jim W.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts