Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'85 300D Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several inches of rain, I found more water on the floor (I thought I had solved the problem by cleaning the drains). When it started raining again yesterday, I sat in the car and found water leaking through the windshield gasket. My question is should I try to replace the gasket myself (I've never done glass work before), or should I call my local glass shop? If I go with the local shop, should I let them get me a new gasket, or should I order one from performanceproducts, or another place? Thanks!!

-Tim

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
i would get the gasket from here, GermanStar should have it....then take it to a glass guy for teh work...its worth it if you dont know / never did it before...some will say to lay in the flowable sealant and others say do it dry...if your glass is old - youll love the new one!

jake

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I'm also experiencing this, so while this is on topic I would like to ask: if the windshield gets broken while fixing the gasket/seal leak, how much would it cost to replace, and where do I get one? Dealership?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
well i imagine you could, but PPG sells one, thats what i put in...and it was like $150 - well worth it to not have a bad (scratchd,chipped)piece of glass...
jake

·
Registered
'85 300D Turbo
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My glass is fine, it just leaks, but I guess for $150 I might as well replace it. What's PPG?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
aftermarket manufacturer...mostly known for their paints....you local glass guy should be able to get it - if you need a PN i should have it.
jake

A

·
0 Posts
WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!

i hate my leaky windshield and rear windows gaskets. i havent got around to replacing them caus my windshield's busted, and a new ones EXPENSIVE. i only want to go with sekurit glass, because i want my collector value to remain high. no need for ghetto glass. Does anyone know for sure if a 4-door windshield will fit a coupe? they appear the same width/lenght, but with the different pitch its hard to judge the shape.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
The coupe's windshield rubber is different from the sedans. [:)] Looks the same but when you put it on it won't fit..

A

·
0 Posts
yeah, im buying a new rubber obviously, i want to know about the glass though. "Sheis auf den sheis gummi!!!" will the glass fit or not?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If you are saying the PPG glass is ghetto - i suggest taking a look at it and through it...however if you are trying to stay OEM - than yes you should pay for it...but the PPG glass fits perfect,has no leaks, ans was about $150 - i am using OEM seals...

good luck all
jake

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
You have to pull the windshield, the seal will come with it, a glass shop is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Pry out the window trim with a flat head screw driver and then cut the seal. Push out the window and pull the old rubber off. Slip the new rubber on and get some rope and put it in one of the grooves in the new seal and place it on the car and have someone get in and pull the rope out of the grooves. When you pulll the rope it pulls the rubber over the lip. Push the trim back in and your done.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
If you are going to replace the glass, be sure that there is no rust along the sheet metal lip that the window sits on--If there is it could crumble apart while the old glass is being removed and then then expensive body work will be needed. Look for bubbling paint around the seal, and in the case of the rear window, reach up under the window and feel for any rust scales. If you encounter either of these It may not be worth removing the window to replace the seals. Also beware that there is a possiblity that the glass will break which will again be expensive to replace, unless you use aftermarket windows, which I am not sure if they make for a rear window with the defroster wire. My car has the same problem and it is too rusted to remove the seals, so the next best option is to slather silicone calk around the seal and hope it stops the leaking. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts