Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you think you had a bad day, listen to this.

I went to a fundraiser for a friend at a golf course and when I got back to my car (2002 E320) the windshield had a crack from a stray golf ball. No note, no "sorry dude..."

So I call the insurance company (Wawanesa). They say call Allstar Glass, that's where they send all their windshields, it's a great shop, work's fully guaranteed, they can probably do it for less than my $500 deductible.

So I call glass shop, they say no problem, come on in, it'll take about an hour. Went yesterday at 8 am. They drove the car into the bay, 1 hr. later, it was done. I paid, they hand me the keys - the car won't start. Lights come on, but engine won't turn over. No clicking, nothing. We try jumping it, nothing.

Long story short... had to have it towed to the dealer. They say its the transmission sensor module = $1100. Dealer says the usual reason for the sensor going out is fluid spilled down the shaft and causing a short, but they are non-committal about mine. They say they can't say exactly what caused mine to go bad.

I'm thinking the guys in the glass shop had to have spilled something on the console and got the electronics wet. Car drove into the shop fine. Anybody have any suggestions how to approach this?

Major headache.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
So you think you had a bad day, listen to this.

I went to a fundraiser for a friend at a golf course and when I got back to my car (2002 E320) the windshield had a crack from a stray golf ball. No note, no "sorry dude..."

So I call the insurance company (Wawanesa). They say call Allstar Glass, that's where they send all their windshields, it's a great shop, work's fully guaranteed, they can probably do it for less than my $500 deductible.

So I call glass shop, they say no problem, come on in, it'll take about an hour. Went yesterday at 8 am. They drove the car into the bay, 1 hr. later, it was done. I paid, they hand me the keys - the car won't start. Lights come on, but engine won't turn over. No clicking, nothing. We try jumping it, nothing.

Long story short... had to have it towed to the dealer. They say its the transmission sensor module = $1100. Dealer says the usual reason for the sensor going out is fluid spilled down the shaft and causing a short, but they are non-committal about mine. They say they can't say exactly what caused mine to go bad.

I'm thinking the guys in the glass shop had to have spilled something on the console and got the electronics wet. Car drove into the shop fine. Anybody have any suggestions how to approach this?

Major headache.
Yep, well known condition. It is a control module and the shaft you refer to is the shift lever. Did you pay to have it towed? If so that indirectly indicates acceptance of the windshield repair, and may let them off the hook.
Who knows what happened, I would talk it over with the windshield shop owner and see what can be done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Valleycat,

I would point the finger at the windshield repair place. I know for a fact that these people must use spray bottle of some sort to clean out the glass (I had mine replaced a couple years ago and I witness the whole procedure), and very likely that it got spilled on the shifter console causing that transmission sensor module to short out. You may want to ask the dealership if they can identify the liquid spilled and make a case with your insurance agent. $1100 is not cheap my friend for something you did not do. Good luck, Tom.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Won't

start?Even with a trans module soaked it will start,just limps and such.Where is the car now?Disconnect the battery,Charge it properly with a charger,to cover all bets put a tube onto a can of electronic cleaner and spray down into the module through that little gap you see that is open when you shift.Let the car sit for a day and hook up the battery and try to start it.A dead battery will not let it start nor shift out of park.I think the dealer is guessing.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I agree with Ohlord. They do the replacement with both front doors open and may have had the radio going as well while doing the job. That may have just taken the battery charge below the limit, especially if it was marginal already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts