Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am looking for advise and feedback on a 2005 Kompressor I just test drove with 105k. I currently have a w202, 1999 kompressor with 177k. I have a few issues with it, the truck does not open with the switch or the fob and the headlight blows the internal cluster fuse once turned on. Other to the little rust that is developing the car is very fun to drive.

I noticed that the acceleration on the w203 was not as responsive as the w202, although the gas was very low. Turning ratio (U turn) is not has sharp has the w202. The one major concern was the front windshield defog. When I turned it on the fan blower was very high and was blowing hot air. I tried to adjust the motor however there was no change when changing the speed from 1-max. I did notice that moving the speed to zero turns off the blower. I was about to put a down payment on this car before I noticed this.

Lastly, besides the comedic difference between the 2005 Kompressor and the Kompressor sport is there any other differences between the two.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
The engines in the two cars are totally different. Yours has a turbocharged 2.3l I4 M111 and the MY2005 has the supercharged 1.8l I4 M271. I believe the actual performance specs of the MY2005 make it faster than yours, but the MY1999 C230 might feel faster because it has slightly more torque that peaks at a lower RPM. Having said that, this is a car with over 100K miles, and the supercharger may be worn out - they are only good for about 100K and then performance of them starts to wane. A replacement can be had for under $1,500 and it's not a bad DIY project.

As for the climate controls, if you press the front defog button, it switches on the A/C compressor (to remove humidity) but then switches to warm air, blowing at full fan speed on the windshield vents. If you just want some gentle, cool air for defog, you can still select than manually via the vent directional control knob and the fan speed knob. That defog button is just a one-step "easy button".

In addition to cosmetic changes, there are others, such as the engine differences I mentioned. The car uses an updated CAN bus system, and newer MOST fiber optic bus for the audio and telematics systems. I don't think there were any major differences in the suspension, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engines in the two cars are totally different. Yours has a turbocharged 2.3l I4 M111 and the MY2005 has the supercharged 1.8l I4 M271. I believe the actual performance specs of the MY2005 make it faster than yours, but the MY1999 C230 might feel faster because it has slightly more torque that peaks at a lower RPM. Having said that, this is a car with over 100K miles, and the supercharger may be worn out - they are only good for about 100K and then performance of them starts to wane. A replacement can be had for under $1,500 and it's not a bad DIY project.

As for the climate controls, if you press the front defog button, it switches on the A/C compressor (to remove humidity) but then switches to warm air, blowing at full fan speed on the windshield vents. If you just want some gentle, cool air for defog, you can still select than manually via the vent directional control knob and the fan speed knob. That defog button is just a one-step "easy button".

In addition to cosmetic changes, there are others, such as the engine differences I mentioned. The car uses an updated CAN bus system, and newer MOST fiber optic bus for the audio and telematics systems. I don't think there were any major differences in the suspension, brakes, etc.
Thanks for the quick reply, I researched the torque and the climate control and you are bang on. However, I am now a little shy to buy it after your supercharger statement. Although I don't think the supercharger on this car is degraded.

Is there another w203 I should consider?

Thanks,

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
I would stay away from the 2006/2007 models with the M272 engine (basically, all of them except the C55 AMG) as those usually fall into the range with bad balance shafts. If you want power, look at a C320. There was a facelift on the W203 for MY2005, so that would be the most desirable, but even earlier models are fine.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
the defog function was normal. you only need to use it for a few seconds to defog, it works quickly so you don't need to drive around with it on all the time. it is more effective than that on any other car I've been in. it works 1000x better than the one on my Porsche, which is useless.

the blown 99 had about 5 more bhp than the later 1.8 blown cars. any difference in noticeable power is miniscule. you may have found a crappy example. if you want better acceleration get one with a 6 speed and I think you'll find it will smoke the 99.

·
19,463 Posts
the blown 99 had about 5 more bhp than the later 1.8 blown cars. any difference in noticeable power is miniscule. you may have found a crappy example.
I think the "butt dyno" test is based on the torque. The 2.3l turbo in the 1999 has [email protected] compared to the 1.8l supercharged with [email protected] It's just enough difference to be noticeable (vehicle weight is almost identical)

if you want better acceleration get one with a 6 speed and I think you'll find it will smoke the 99.
1999 C230 0-60 = 8.1sec
2005 C230 Auto 0-60 = 7.8
2005 C230 Manual 0-60 = 7.6

I'm not sure that qualifies as "smoking", but anything more than a 0.3 second difference is "noticeable".

Another factor to consider with higher mileage cars are that the catalytic converters can begin to fail after 100K. Clogged cats can make a huge difference in performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts