Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 b200, 2011 Ford Explorer XLT
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one seems really strange. It appears that the B, without the Bi-xenon headlight upgrade does not have a sensor to inform you that the washer fluid level is low or empty.

We have a 2009 non-turbo B and just the other day I went to clean the windscreen and got nothing but air - not good when driving on the highway - fortunately their was some misting from other cars and I was able to get close enough to get some mist from them to clean the windshield unitl i could pull over and get the spare jug out of the back

Is this correct, in that the B does not tell you when you are out of washer fluid on cars without the headlamp upgrade.

·
Registered
2008 B200T (W245)
316 Posts
This one seems really strange. It appears that the B, without the Bi-xenon headlight upgrade does not have a sensor to inform you that the washer fluid level is low or empty.

We have a 2009 non-turbo B and just the other day I went to clean the windscreen and got nothing but air - not good when driving on the highway - fortunately their was some misting from other cars and I was able to get close enough to get some mist from them to clean the windshield unitl i could pull over and get the spare jug out of the back

Is this correct, in that the B does not tell you when you are out of washer fluid on cars without the headlamp upgrade.
Unfortunately, it is (at least in the 2008 as well). Had the dealer confirm it. He showed me where it would go, and said it is NOT retrofittable either, as the wiring to accept the sensor isn't there (which I'm not sure about, but that's what he said).

Since Benzy (yes, I named my car) takes about 1.5 of the standard jugs of washer fluid, and I get the washer additive from MB (a great product, by the way), I always have some left over, which I keep in a jug at the back for such joyous occasions.

At first, I kept it with the spare tire in the hollow space left there, but since I keep other things there now, I stand the jug upright, and, with one of those bungee strapping ties (see here http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/large044064.jpg ), I used the loops in the trunk to hold the jug upright in my trunk by running the strap through the handle.
I also let a lot of the air out of the jug, both to make it smaller, and incase it would tip over (more of an issue when it wasn't tied down the way it is), prior to closing the cap.

Oh, and did I mention the washer fluid additive from MB is amazing? :)
It seems that the washer fluid manufacturers (at least the various brands available at Canadian tire, including their own Motomaster brand) have started to skimp on the detergent that they add to the liquid. A few years ago, I remember (when I switched form the cheap blue fluid to the detergent one) how much foam would be created when the window would be sprayed, and how much better the resulting wash was. Now, there is no spray!

To add insult to injury, those fluids that 'protect you' by having the 'rain-resistant' additive, or whatever they call it (that supposedly lets rain/water just slide off the windshield easier) leave an annoying film when the windshield wipers are used.

Anyways, I just buy the regular green jugs that Canadian Tire sells and add the MB additive, and the results are fantastic. I forget how much it sells for, but it lasts 4-5 washer reservoir fill-ups.

·
Registered
2009 b200, 2011 Ford Explorer XLT
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting that their is no indicator - my 1984 chevette had an indicator, but a +35K MB does not - absolutley amazing - however it has taken 2 1/2 years of ownership to relize this - I guess the extra large washer fluid tank helps in that you are not filling up all that often - but still amazing that it does not come standard

·
Registered
2008 B200T (W245)
316 Posts
interesting that their is no indicator - my 1984 chevette had an indicator, but a +35K MB does not - absolutley amazing - however it has taken 2 1/2 years of ownership to relize this - I guess the extra large washer fluid tank helps in that you are not filling up all that often - but still amazing that it does not come standard
As did my old Mazda Protege. It also had folding side mirrors.

The B200 Turbo is still the best car by far, for my tastes, that I not only owned, but have come across in North America, all things considered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts