Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
In my car windscreen washer is not spraying. Washer fluid is there, i switch spraying but nothing happend only wipers working.they were spraying poorly but now no response.do u have any solutions hot to fix it? I had similar issue in my previous car and i extended bit of washer hose which goes to sprayers and that sorted the problem. Someone said it happens on older cars and washer hose by the time gets smaller and fluid can't be passed through

What i am asking for is that this job will fix spraying in my car or u think that it is going to be someting else?
Thank u

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,840 Posts
Does the pump motor actually work? You might try disconnecting the tubing and running the pump to check it. If it is broken, it's located in the bottom of the reservoir and fairly easy an inexpensive to replace. You remove the left road wheel and the shroud in front of it for access.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
you need to see if the pump is working. have someone try it while you listen to the reservoir and see if you hear whirring. if not the problem is electrical or the pump is broken. if the pump's working, you may have clogged nozzles. you can try to clean them with a pin. I think the nozzles are much more likely to clog than the lines going to them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my car the pump was not working. I removed it from the reservoir , put 12 volts on it and it was good. there was no current in the pump connection when the switch was pressed. There is no fuse in this system. It´s electronic.
Fortunately I pressed the switch several times and it came back to work. i believe it´s bad contact. I read somewhere that someone could put contact cleaner inside the switch without opening it. So far I didn´t try.

·
18,840 Posts
Replacing a bad washer pump is much easier and less expensive than replacing a bad stalk. I'd start diagnosing at the pump.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't know maybe it's pump. i am going to get workshop manual so i will replace it myself. spraying shoud come immediately after u push shouldn't?i keep pushing and holding but nothing happends only wipers working.
so extending tight and shorten due to time hose won't help?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry u said shwitch? which switch? where is it located? do u mean one inside with wipers switch or somewhere under the boniet?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi mattuk85.
I said combination switch, that controls wipers, low and high beams as the turn signals. Press it several times , twisting it when pressed. If the culprit is a bad contact, it will work again.
Paulo Kropsch
Rio de Janeiro-Brazil

·
Registered
7 Posts
2 things.
One,
Pressing it in will activate the wipers to wipe once. Pressing it further makes the fluid spray. Sounds like you know this though, just thought I'd mention that.

Two,
I have a similar issue in that the first time I press it no fluid comes out but the wipers engage, but pressing it again quickly it works fine. Not sure why it does that but in order to get it to spray properly i have to press it twice in quick succession. Try that and see if it works?
I'm thinking it's a contact but can't be bugged at the moment to check further.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 things.
One,
Pressing it in will activate the wipers to wipe once. Pressing it further makes the fluid spray. Sounds like you know this though, just thought I'd mention that.

Two,
I have a similar issue in that the first time I press it no fluid comes out but the wipers engage, but pressing it again quickly it works fine. Not sure why it does that but in order to get it to spray properly i have to press it twice in quick succession. Try that and see if it works?
I'm thinking it's a contact but can't be bugged at the moment to check further.
I knew that. this is described in owner's manual but in my car doing that doesn't spray fluid. i checked pump by listening to and pump works so it has to be washer hose...i'm waiting for weekend to get it sorted.

·
18,840 Posts
That's good news. Hoses and the pump are easy to fix. If it's a broken hose, you should be seeing some leaking washer fluid somewhere under the hood. The pump could be bad and although the motor is running, the impeller may be toast. If you do end up replacing the pump, order a grommet for it and swap that at the same time as they are prone to leaking. In fact, order two grommets to keep a spare.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys i got some good news. I managed to get out panel with sprayers.checked hose and was wet so it wasn't it. Checked sprayers and aha...got it one was full of dirt.i cleaned it out and put everything back in place.now sprayers working and i can enjoy cleaning windscreen everyday!:-D ;-)
Thank you for your help. Issue is sorted out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts