Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 86 560sl. Would like a detachable windscreen.
Can anyone give me some advice and recommendation regarding effectiveness and convenience of removal, of a particular model.

·
Registered
380 SL
31 Posts
They are very effective and are removable with two attached clamps.

The reduction in wind is very noticable. It takes less than 30 seconds to install and/or remove.

I leave mine on at all time, even when the hardtop is on.

My 380 is the same body type as yours.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
This was the best money I spent on any accessory for my car. You really can drive at 65 MPH on the expressway with only a slight touseling of your hair! You can hear a "normal" stereo!

However, it is not cheap. I've seen it increase in price quite a bit over the last year. Shop around. The nearby dealer stood firm on a ridiculous price even when confronted with a $150 lower mail order price.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Genuine+Mercedes+Windscreen&productid=102789&productType=20&partnumber=

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,080 Posts
I ordered mine direct from the german firm KVM at substantial savings; 177.95 Euro + shipping = approx. US$ 240.00 + shipping. The windscreen fit perfectly and sure is a delight on my 450SL.

http://www.ksm-exclusiv.de/mercedes_pagode.htm

·
Registered
1989 560 SL
3 Posts
Hi Marty
I looked around last year for a windscreen for my 1989 560 Sl but eventually contacted Mercedes Benz Canada. They had the type I wanted ( nylon mesh in an aluminum frame)but would only supply through a dealer. I am very happy with the screen. It looks sharp and is very effective at reducing wind noise and, more importantly, buffeting, The screen attaches and removes in seconds with two over centre clamps. It has two sections: one to flip up behind your head when desired for protection and the other that lays flat and covers the well behind the seats (thus preventing airflow under the screen portion behind you head.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL
3 Posts
Hi Marty
Since posting my first reply, I have placed a few photos in a folder in the 'galleries". Look for 'Northern Boy" folder in the sl galleries and you can see a couple of photos of the windscreen installed on my 560sl

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
mrelbe - 4/18/2005 2:09 PM

I ordered mine direct from the german firm KVM at substantial savings; 177.95 Euro + shipping = approx. US$ 240.00 + shipping. The windscreen fit perfectly and sure is a delight on my 450SL.

http://www.ksm-exclusiv.de/mercedes_pagode.htm
Does it cover the well area? In the pictures it looks like it doesn't

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
I bought one last year from Performance Products. I get a card every 3-4 months from them offering a discount on my purchases so I used that when I bought mine. Seems like it was around $300 bucks but I had seen them for less when I didn't own my SL! Anyway, this truly is a great option for your car. I sometimes have trouble keeping my cap on from the wind splash but I just reach back and pull up the screen and it greatly reduces the wind. Get one. You won't regret it.
Mike [8D]

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
kvining - 4/21/2005 10:07 AM

Does it cover the well area? In the pictures it looks like it doesn't
Yes, it does cover the well area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went to website in Germany, but how do you translate to english? Really is the best price I've found, thanks to this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went to website in Germany, but how do you translate to english? Really is the best price I've found, thanks to this thread.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,194 Posts
Do you have the MB part number for that windscreen Northern boy?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Loose german translation:
W107
Windscreen
2 parts (vertical screen + well cover)
The frame is covered in leather. The view is not blocked even with sun shining from rear at 180 degree angle.
Mounts without drilling
Order now ( this link just generates an email to [email protected] )

I am very happy with my screen from them. I suggest you email them to [email protected] and most likely they will understand and answer in english.

·
Registered
19 Posts
place to buy it

strife2 said:
This was the best money I spent on any accessory for my car. You really can drive at 65 MPH on the expressway with only a slight touseling of your hair! You can hear a "normal" stereo!

However, it is not cheap. I've seen it increase in price quite a bit over the last year. Shop around. The nearby dealer stood firm on a ridiculous price even when confronted with a $150 lower mail order price.

I have seen the pictures and I like the wind screen do you know where can I buy one or the manufacture name?

Thank you

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
When you are ordering take the more expensive one ,that is the original,Euro 259 is the best price I ever saw.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,194 Posts
$450.00 CAD at my local MB dealer. It is the one and only. Takes longer to get it out of the box than to install. And, friends, it works.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
well www.adsitco.com has them for 498.00 but im sure ya can do better than that.

·
Registered
1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
546 Posts
You can also make one if you want. It took me a couples of hours to make one from scratch. Check this link out

http://www.sl113.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3135&SearchTerms=W107

I made one for about $50 - $15 for plywood, $25 for paint (colour matched to the car) and rubber paint (for the brackets), and $10 for hardware. If you have all of that stuff around the house you could make it for free!

You don't need the plexiplastic for the flip up portion. Plywood will work. All you have to do is take the flip up section and notch out the centre of the top for the rear view mirror.

I also didn't fool around with the european latches. All you really need is a piano hinge. The back pressure will keep the screen up once you are moving.

The only problem I encountered was that the flip up portion would flop down when you stopped - which can be a bit a blessing as it allows some cool air to flow into the cabin. I solved that problem by putting a cabinent handle on the flip up screen (to pull the screen up) and I attach a bungie cord from the handle to the arm rest. Simple solution and it works!.

I'm very happy with the results. Using the wind screen makes an amazing difference when you're driving on the highway and I now have a "security" cover over my luggage well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts